Creal Arts

While the others are still getting ready I receive a phone call from Jack. I answer it while simultaneously slipping a pair of earrings into the piercings. "Jack!"

I can hear the smile in his voice. "Hello, Mace. How are things going?"

I still feel radiant. "Wonderful."

"Grand – does that mean you're ready? Can I meet with you by chance?"

Do I hear a hint of nerves in his voice? He wouldn't be nervous to see me... it's probably for tonight.

"I think that'd be fine. Where would you like me to meet you?" I ask.

"How about the ballroom? Do you remember where that is?"

I search my memory and recall the grand room with marble floors and a roof made of glass. It had reminded me of the ballroom from the Beast's castle in Beauty and the Beast. I tell him I remember where it is and that I'll meet him there in a few minutes.

Lola pops her painted red lips, looking at me in the mirror where she's checking her makeup. "That was the Jackass?"

I nod. "He wants me to go meet him. Will you let Gen know where I've gone?"

Lola smirks, mischief in her eyes. "Going off to snog him for a while?"

I roll my eyes. "Lola," I say, "you know we're trying it again, but as friends."

She smirks again. "You look at Jack the same way you look at me? Or Tom? Or Gemma? Or Larkin?"

I feel my cheeks press with a blush. I grab the clutch Gen set out for me, which is made of the same fabric as my dress, embroidered flowers and everything. I give Lola another eye roll, slipping my phone into the clutch. "Lola, I promise you, Jack and I are friends. Nothing more, nothing less."

I leave her with a small hug and head for the ballroom where I spot Jack, who's busily organizing something on a table, his back to me. I walk nearer him and call softly, "Hello, Jack."

I'm surprised when he turns around and it's not Jack, but someone who looks eerily close to him. The boy gives me a smile, his face lit with energy and kindness. "Not Jack – sorry, love. I'm Maxwell."

My eyes widen and a smile takes over my face. "Maxwell! Oh my word! Why hello, I'm Macey Little."

Maxwell's eyes light with amusement. "Oh, trust me. I know. Jack speaks of nothing else." He rolls his eyes, but I can tell it's in a joking manor. I instantly like this boy with his kindness and charisma. Jack's right – he'll do wonders for Creal.

"Maxwell, I'm so glad you are able to be a part of Creal. You can't imagine how relieved I am that you responded to the email. I must have sounded like a crazy lady when I first contacted you."

Maxwell laughs, his dimples appearing on both sides. "Oh, trust me, I'm lucky beyond belief. And you must call me Max – all my friends do. Now, I hate to excuse myself like this, but I must get someone to do some last minute changes for tonight."

I smile, nodding, as he slips away, pep in his step. I look around the ballroom, tables lining the walls with the fanciest place settings I've ever seen. Decadence is too small a word to describe the lavish setting. How did I get to become a part of all this? How am I lucky enough to be friends with Jack after all that's happened?

"Mace, darling. You look beautiful." Jack's voice is rich and comforting as I turn to see him in a tuxedo, looking at me from the doorway.

I smile, feeling beautiful and graceful and more than I should. "Oh, Jack," I say as he nears me, "Thank you so much – for everything. You didn't have to do this."