I'm Only Gaining Momentum

Lola leans next to me as we walk through the market. "Oooh, what you got there, Macey?"

I take the last bite of my macaroon. "Macaroon... Raspberry."

"Huh." She makes a face. "Don't like raspberry."

"What?!" Tom looks at her like she's crazy.

I look to my other side where Jack is eating his own macaroons. This boy... He makes me crazy. The temptation to go against the contract and let myself actually feel is so strong, but I know that in the end Jack would end up hating me no matter what so there isn't a point in feeling.

"What's on your mind, Sweetness?" Jack finishes his macaroons and brushes his hands on his pants, looking at me with a small smile.

I shake my head. "Nothing... Just..." I search for something to say - anything but what was actually on my mind. "I need to visit my Aunt Isabelle today. She lives not too far from here. She texted me before we left this morning and told me I should come for dinner."

Jack's brow wrinkles. "Oh."

Lola looks over at me. "When are you leaving? It's already two-thirty."

I shrug, finishing off my second macaroon. "Yeah, I should probably go catch the next train out of the City."

Lola looked at me skeptically. "By yourself? No way in hell am I letting you go by yourself, Macey."

I roll my eyes at her. "Thanks, mom, but I think I can handle myself. Not to mention, I highly doubt my aunt will want me bringing all of you guys to her place. She's picky about that type of thing."

Lola smirks, an evil glint in her eye. "Oh, I didn't mean all of us."

"Then... What did you mean?"

She flicks an eyebrow up - a challenge - before turning to Jack. "What about you, Jack? Would you be willing to go with Macey? That way you can protect her..."

I roll my eyes at the last part. "I don't need protected."

Jack smirks, mirroring Lola. I don't like it when the two of them are on the same side and I'm on the other. "Why, of course I will, Lola."

***

"Oh my God, Jack. For the last damn time: stop staring at me." I glare at him, where he sits in the seat next to me. He hasn't stopped staring at me since we boarded the train twenty minutes ago. It's kind of unnerving.

Jack smirks. "Why? Does it make you uncomfortable, Sweetness?"

"Yes... yes it does." I flip him off and lean against the window, closing my eyes. Even though I'm sure the window is germ-infested and giving me a virus.

"But you look so hot." His voice is right next to my ear, sending chills down my spine.

"Jack," I groan, my eyes opening to only see his face up close and personal.

"Yes, Sweetness?"

I feel my eyes involuntarily take in his features, resting lastly on his lips. I force myself to lift my gaze to his eyes, but only after Jack notices my lingering.

"I, uh..."

Jack presses his lips to mine, his hands firm, but gentle on my hips. My hands hover halfway between us, unsure of whether they should pull away or wrap around him. Jack pulls me closer to him, his lips taking dominance over mine.

There's a high-pitched 'ping' that sounds through the train car, causing Jack to pull away from me. I gasp for air and try to get my bearings. Everything seems to be spinning, causing my world to tilt. Jack smirks, standing up.