A Reminder

"You're telling me, that Jack f*ckin Creal likes you and you like him?" Lola exclaims for the umpteenth time while pacing back and forth beside my bed.

When she got back from their night clubbing, Lola asked me how the date went and I may have told her... too much.

I sigh. "Yes, Lola."

Lola shakes her head. "And... you two... kissed... in the effin gardens? After a picnic?"

I roll my eyes. "Watch your language, Lola. And I've told you, like, fifteen times what happened. Even I'm used to it by now."

She stops pacing and cross her arms, facing me. "The Jackass and you? You and the Jackass?"

I shrug, smiling. "We... like each other. And... he's a pretty damn good kisser."

She smirks. "Bet that isn't all he's good at."

A blush heats up my neck. "Lola!"

"What? The Jackass is probably very talented..." She shrugs, looking at me innocently.

I arch an eyebrow. "Hey..." I say, realizing I never heard about her night out, "tell me about your night."

Lola makes a face. "Well... I'm sober. Not a stitch of alcohol in me... It sucked balls, Macey. We got lost in the City, Tom hurt his foot and then Angel threw up... On Tom."

I cringe. "Ooooh... Not that great, huh?"

She glares at me. "Uh, not great at all, but hey." She smiles, "At least you had a good night."

There's a knock on the door and Lola begrudgingly goes over to answer it. I'm expecting Tom, but instead it's Jack. He's no longer in the clothes he was wearing earlier, but a pair of addidas pants and a white v-neck t-shirt. His feet are bare. I've changed too - dressed now in some leggings and a tank top.

Lola smirks. "Oh... you."

Jack laughs, attempting to enter the room, but Lola stops him with her hand on his chest. She shakes her head. "Un-nuh, mister. First off, I need to tell you: you break her heart or hurt her in any way... I will make sure you can never feel pleasure again." She jabs him in the chest, a scowl lining her brow. "Comprende?"

Jack's eyebrows are raised, but he nods. "Yeah, comprende."

Lola steps out of his way and lets him pass. "Alright, I'll leave you two alone. I don't want to be an awkward third wheel."

I laugh. "Oh, Lola, don't go. I don't want you to feel that way."

Lola smirks over her shoulder. "Trust me... Jackass here wants me gone. And, I really should check on Tom."

I wince, remembering what happened to Tom. Poor guy. "Oh, right. Okay."

Lola leaves and closes the door, leaving Jack and I alone. He crosses to my bed and plops down next to me, smiling.

"What?" I ask.

"Does, uh, Lola always call me Jackass?" He smirks.

I laugh. "Uh, yes. That, or other things."

He acts wounded, grabbing his chest dramatically. "Ouch."

I laugh again, nudging him with my shoulder. "So, what did you need?"

He shrugs the smile on his face fading. "My father wants to see you..." I can see a question in his eyes that I really wish wasn't there.

"Oh? Okay." I look away from him, not wanting to lie. How can I lie to him? And yet, like him at the same time? Am I really that selfish?

"Sweetness? Is there something I should know? You can tell me." Jack's voice is hopeful and it breaks me. He has doubts, but he's still hopeful.

I shake my head and force myself to look at him. I smile, ignoring the hope and ignoring my lies. I like him - that's not lie, but I can never, ever love him. Jeremiah has made sure of that. "Of course not, Jack. I don't know why he needs to see me."

Jack's biting down on his lip, his eyes slowly relaxing. He lets out a small breath. "Okay... Okay." His hand reaches out and takes hold of mine, giving it a gentle squeeze.

I am a terrible person.

***

I walk to Jeremiah's office with my stomach in a fit of nerves. What could he possibly want with me? He's already making my life difficult enough. I actually like Jack Creal, but this feeling will never amount to anything. Jeremiah will make sure of that.

Unlike Jack, I knock on Jeremiah's door and wait for him to bid me come in. I enter the office and shiver as the brittle air coats over me. The room is still stiff and formal, just as it was before. I, unlike Jack, am not as bold. Therefore, I sit in one of the chairs as soon as I enter.

Jeremiah looks at me, his eyes calculating and his jaw set firmly. "Macey, I'm glad you could come."

I smile - or at least, try to; it probably looks more like a grimace. I don't say anything since I'm completely unsure of what should be said.

"Macey, I want you to know, I expect progress with the matter we discussed. Have you been able to... Convince Jack?" He pauses and leans forward. "Let me remind you... Your position rests in my court. I don't just mean your Creal internship... I mean your entire future in publishing."

It's as if reality hits me square on the face. This isn't about me liking Jack. I know that's not an option and I need to take those glimpses of feelings I have for him and I need to lock them up and throw away the key. I can't like him and I won't. This is a business deal and I am bound to it legally. My priority is my success. I need to convince Jack to stay or else I'm a goner.

I nod, answering Jeremiah's question. "I believe progress is moving along with Jack. He has confessed to liking me more than just an acquaintance. I plan on becoming closer with him over the week. The trouble is that it's hard to gain trust with him."

Jeremiah nods. "He's been like that ever since... Well, since we moved to the States, really... But, Macey, please, quicken the pace with him. I'd like to sign a contract with him by mid-July. That means you have a month to convince him this corporation is his future."

"Why only a month? The internship lasts until mid-August." I can't understand what the rush is?

Jeremiah's eyes grow hazy and he looks at me, disoriented, as if he didn't expect me to ask. "Er, I just need Jack to decide so that the future of the company isn't uncertain."

"Who would inherit the company if Jack doesn't?"

Jeremiah shakes his head and stands, opening the door for me. "I have other things I need to attend to and I'm sure you want to head to bed... Busy week ahead - I expect progress."

I leave the office, my mind in a maelstrom of bewilderment. Why does Jack have to inherit? And why has it been so hard for Jack to trust ever since they left England? This corporation isn't the only thing built on lies and dishonesty... this family is too.

•••

A/N:

Please vote or comment if you liked it! Thanks for all you do!

Love always, Samantha <3