A Light Of Their Own

"Oh, you really are back." Larkin makes a face of mock disapproval from the driver's seat of Gemma and Clive's Jeep.

I roll my eyes from where I sit behind him. "Oh, shut-up, Larkin."

Gemma laughs at us, climbing up front as O and I position ourselves in the back, behind them. Gem turns in her seat and smiles at me. "He missed you, Mace. A lot."

Larkin scoffs, his hands lightly gripping the stealing wheel. "Whatever, Gem. Way to give me away."

"In fact," Gemma begins, causing Larkin to eye her wearily and tighten his grip on the wheel as he began driving, "yesterday, he said he wanted to come visit you, but then he decided we'd only distract you... But now you're here, so what's the difference."

Larkin flushes and makes eye contact with me in the rear view mirror. "You were busy, I'm sure."

Something about Larkin's tone sends chills down my spine – as if he knows I went to the Top of the Rock and that I spent the day with Jack Creal.

I swallow hard and look to Olive, even though I can still feel Larkin's eyes on me in the mirror. "How've you been, O?"

Olive shrugs, smiling. "Alright. I've decided to stay home in the fall to help my parents with the bakery."

Gemma smirks. "That's why you're staying home? Are you sure it's not because of Levi?"

I look back to Olive, a smile spreading across my face. "Who the hell is Levi?"

Olive heats up, her face turning a crimson color. "He's... a... boy..."

"Friend." Larkin adds on, smirking as well.

"O! You have a boyfriend?! Why didn't you tell me? You should have called or texted me!" I swat her arm lightly.

Olive winces slightly and I looks out of the Jeep window. "I didn't want to bother you, Macey."

I almost press on, but Olive leans forward, flipping the radio on and blaring the volume. Clearly, she doesn't want to explain right now and I don't have the energy to push answers from her. I'll just ask Gemma later.

We ride back to West Brook with windows down and the music pulsing from the speakers. I feel as if I've come home and a salve has been placed upon my heart. Slowly, I feel the cracks in it healing. The cracks caused by my own lies, my own schemes, my own broken love.

True, this new part of my life won't have Jack, the once golden boy, but it will have the hope of truth and being true to myself. Both of which have a light of their own.

In the back of my mind a thought forms, like a wisp of smoke, a thin walled vapor. I wonder what Jack's doing? I wonder –

"Macey, we're at your house." Gemma smiles at me from her seat.

I blink, clearing my mind and sure enough, there's my little home-sweet-home. My family's probably inside, waiting, wondering why I'm rushing home.

I slowly climb out of the Jeep and Larkin climbs out as well. "Let me help you, Mace."

I smile appreciatively and let him take hold of one of my bags as we walk to the door. Halfway there, Larkin speaks up, revealing the meaning behind the looks he gave me.

"I saw you in an article online." He doesn't blurt it, but he does state it abruptly. "With Jack Creal," He follows up.

I stop in front of the door, looking at him and trying to understand what he's getting at. "Yes? What did it say?"