A Dream That Can't Be Lost

"We have to go." Jack murmurs the words into my skin, a buzz on his lips. I hope that I imagined them, that they were just a figment on the breeze that blows across my skin.

But he repeats them and I know they're real. I wish they weren't. I wish I could stay here, in his arms for all of time and it's endless measure.

"Why? Do we really have to return to the House?" I ask, letting him lead me back to the elevator even though my eyes are wide open and I can walk myself.

"Stan said we had an hour all by ourselves and I believe our hour is up." He motions around the Top of the Rock with his free hand.

"Oh, is Stan who you called?" I arch my eyebrows and Jack smiles, nodding.

"He's a family friend and he's in charge of the Rock. I just asked him to pull a few strings. He owed a favor and didn't mind helping me out."

We climb back onto the elevator and when we reach the entry way at the bottom I see a line of people waiting eagerly to see the view we just experienced. I think of how we stood up there, atop the Rock with no thoughts of time or people or anyone except for us. That hour was ours.

Jack leads me back outside and we walk down the sidewalk, his arm around me, still holding me steady in this tilting world.

I'm smiling up at him when I see the first flash of light from the corner of my eye. I stop, dizzy from the spots swirling in my vision as more of the flashes go off, and followed with shouts and yells. Jack curses beneath his breath and pulls me closer to him, covering our faces with his arms.

We pick up our paces and I realize that these flashes are coming from the cameras of paparazzi. Jack is famous in the world of business and affluence so I shouldn't be surprised, but it still shocks me. My picture might end up in a tabloid with Jack. They will learn my name and I could be the talk of the town. I might be eaten apart by comments and assumptions. I could have my career ruined. Jeremiah could find out and fire me. Sue me. End me. Or it could make me.

Fame holds such a delicate weight. Any disruption could mean drastic changes.

I hear the yells of the paparazzi as we rush through the crowd, trying to make it back to the garage. Suddenly, I feel as if we actually walked a great distance today. I feel pulled down by the pavement and tired from the bright flashes that blind my vision.

"Jack, how is your father coping with the fact that you still haven't signed on?"

"Are you actually going to be the Creal Publishing heir?"

"Are you returning to California?"

"Did Daddy threaten to cut off the allowance if you didn't return to New York?"

The questions take a turn in direction, surprising me.

"Jack, who's the girl?"

"Who's your new girlfriend?"

"Is she your new conquest?"

"Is she hired by your father to date you?"

Sniggers and smirks flood across the paps and I tense at the last question, feeling my face heat up. Jack tenses as well, but for different reasons. I feel a flash of anger wash over him, heating up his face, and before I can blink or process what he's about to do, he spins on the paparazzi and lunges for them.

I reach out, catching his arm at the last second and struggling to pull him against me. Since he's flustered and fueled by emotion, he's caught of guard. His eyes are lit with fire and his jaw is clenched, but he cools at my touch. I shake my head, looking him in the eyes. "Jack, babe," I plead, "it's not worth it."