For the First Time

Shortly after the toast the band begins to play music again and I see couples make their way to the dance floor, floating along the marble floor with elegance in their every step, their every move. I scan the room and find Jack coming my way with two more glasses of champagne. I'm not sure if the drinks or his smile sparkle more beneath the lights.

I begin to make my way towards him as well, but a man in a posh suit stops him and begins talking with him. Jack is polite and gives me an apologetic smile before turning his full attention to the man. I think of the boy I met back at the beginning of summer – arrogant, rude and full of anger towards his father. That version of Jack has faded away and has grown into his true self, the one he's always meant to be.

Max appears next to me, his eyes also watching Jack. He clears his throat after taking a sip of his champagne. "Jack loves you, you know."

I look back to Max and away from his brother. "I... do know that."

Max turns away from Jack also and looks at me, his eyes lit with kindness. "Then what's stopping you, Macey? Jack looks at you with more love than I've ever seen anyone else have. He's willing to do anything for you... He'll never be happy with someone else – he wants to do this, everything there is to do in life, with you, Macey."

I pause, looking at Max curiously. "You seem to think you know us pretty well, but there's a past to us. One that isn't easy to forget."

He scoffs playfully and rolls his eyes. "You're all he talks about, Macey. Do me a favor and get him to shut up by dating him. You two are wasting time being apart. You need to stop regretting what happened and be with the man who loves you... and who I think you also love."

I smile at him, knowing my next words ring true. "I like you, Max."

Max's eyes lighten with a sparkle. "You'll say yes then?"

I bite down on my lip, making my decision as I look to see Jack finally escaping from the posh man and making his way towards me. I look back to Max and smile. "Thank you, Max."

Max laughs, his dimples appearing and reminding me of his brother. They're good for each other. They really are. "You're a salt, you know?" Max asks, tilting his head at me.

I feel my smile become even bigger as I feel Jack's presence next to me. It's like I have a sixth sense concerning Jack and his closeness to me. You're all he talks about, Macey. Jack holds out a glass of champagne for me and I take it, our fingers brushing. His hand moves to the small of my back and he gently presses it into the exposed skin there, steady and supporting.

Max winks at us cheekily before saying, "I need to make some rounds."

I incline my head to Jack and take a sip of my drink before saying, "I like him."

Jack smiles, looking at Max who is now talking animatedly to someone about the industry. "I like him too... I don't think I could do this without his help... or his friendship, really."

I place my glass down on the table and take Jack's hand in mine. "Do you think we could take a walk in the garden?"

***

As we exit the mansion and enter the garden I feel the cool summer air snake around my skin, chilling me. I cozy next to Jack and we walk in silence, the stars reflecting down on us. The garden smells beautifully, fragrant air taking over our senses as we begin walking. Jack's hand still holds mine, warm and enveloping me.

I remember the date we had here so long ago, when both of us didn't have a clue what we were doing. That evening was filled with stolen kisses and comments made over a picnic. It all seemed so innocent and harmless, but it only led to an inevitable end that I had put into place. The moments of that night sneak back into my memory and I'm overwhelmed with the promise I need to keep.

Maybe, one day you'll get to meet my friends and they can be yours as well.

"Jack," I say, stilling my feet and looking up at him.

"Hm?" He murmurs, close to me.

"What if we went home at the end of summer? We can bring Max along if you want... I just think you should meet some of my friends and family. Would you like that?"

Jack leans closer to me, nodding his head and causing our noses to brush. "I like the idea of that. Does that mean...? Are we going to give it one last go?"

I smile, my lips giving away my answer before I can voice it. "Yes, Jack. Let's give it a go."

He smiles also and even though it's nighttime, I see him as I always do: in his golden light. And this time around, I don't wait for Jack to ask me if he can kiss me. I kiss him. The kiss is everything we are: bold, brass, our dreams made tangible. His arms wrap around me and I give him everything I am.

I'm done with the regret and the bad memories. I'm not sure if I could have prevented all that happened between us, I'm not sure I would want to go back and change it. If all the heartache meant that in the end, I'd end up with Jack, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Jack and I may have been lost, we may have let time and hurt pull us away. But I know as I kiss him, that I'm home for the first time. I'm in his arms and I have found where I belong.

•••
A/N: Hey guys! I'm terribly sorry this has taken so long, but here's an update!
I love you and appreciate your patience.

Love always,
Samantha XO