Far Less Golden

Jack slams one of his fists on his father's desk. "I don't believe you, Macey. Not for a second. Damn it all, what the hell is going on? Ten hours ago my life was perfect," Jack's voice cracks. "What the hell is happening? Why are you lying to me?!"

Jeremiah looks to me, mildly amused by the clear emotion in Jack's words and my obvious defeat. "Miss Littlefield, thank you for doing your part. You are free to return to you room, but I suggest you begin packing. You'll be transferred to London early tomorrow."

I turn to leave, trying to hurry from the room and escape, but the look on Jack's face when he learned the painstaking truth of who I really am, still haunts me even as I run down the halls, finding the Lavender Room. I slam the door behind me and lock it for good measure, as I think the one true thing my mind can fully process: I hate myself. I hate what I've become.

I pace around the room for twenty minutes, trying to cool off. Then, I call my mom and wait for her to answer her phone, but she doesn't. I leave a voicemail and then call Gemma.

"Hello, Maceyyyy." Larkin's familiar voice fills my ear and I hold back a sob, trying to wait for Gemma before breaking down.

"Is..." I force myself to speak, choking on the emotions caught in my throat. "Is Gem there? It's really important."

Larkin's voice becomes serious. "Macey, what's wrong?"

I force cheeriness into my voice. "Nothing, Larkin. Just need to speak with Gemma."

I hear a muffling over the phone and then Larkin speaking to Gemma, words like not herself and sounds bad come through to my ears and I feel my façade beginning to crumble. Then, clearly I hear Gemma's voice from the other end. "Mace, what's wrong?"

"Gemma," A sob lilts in my voice and I collapse on the floor, "Gemma, I screwed up. I'm coming home. I'm going to go get the soonest flight and come home. Please tell me its okay. I can't stay here anymore."

"Okay, okay, okay," Gemma seems to process all of the news rather quickly and takes control of the situation. "Go get on a flight home and I'll phone your mom and explain everything. Don't worry about anything, Mace. You're coming home."

We say goodbye and I hang up and quickly find a piece of paper and a pen before leaving Lola a note, only telling her that I'll be gone. I don't tell her how long, but I ask her to cover for me.

It's unfair, but I can't call and explain it to her. I'm already feeling myself fall apart and I'd rather not broadcast it to everyone.

***

I'm able to make it all the way out of the House and put my luggage in the taxi before someone sees me. Mia eyes my luggage in the trunk and smirks, crossing her arms over her chest.

I shut the trunk and move to climb in the taxi, but her voice stops me in my tracks. "I can make him happy, you know."

My bones freeze up, cementing me there in that spot. I turn away from the taxi and look at her: this evil girl who will never, ever deserve Jack. He deserves better than both Mia and me. He deserves something far more golden and true and right than either of us.

"If you believe that for one minute, you're lying to yourself. Jack will never be happy in a place where his father is over him." I inch closer to the taxi, wanting to leave this place behind. The flight home is in an hour. Seven hours and I'm home. I'm away and I'm better off.

Mia practically snarls at me, "You act like he'll love you after what you've done to him. Go ahead, Macey. Leave him and I'll clean up the broken heart you've so easily created."

I open the taxi door, completely sick of this, of her – of all of it. "Go to hell, Mia."

***

"Flight 407, now boarding for San Diego, California."

I grab my carry-on and mosey over to the line of people that has formed to board the plane. I pull out my phone and see four missed calls from Lola and ten texts asking where the hell I am. I sigh, placing it back in my pocket and stalling my response to her.

Suddenly, I'm jostled from behind and I swear too loudly when I almost lose my balance. A hand reaches out and steadies me, firm on my hip. I look up into dark eyes which hold my gaze, a smile spreading across their face. I blush as I straighten and pull away, taking in the handsome, but clumsy man.

"I'm so sorry," He gushes, his voice a low caramel-like tone.

I try to smile back. "It's okay."

"Are you flying home?" The stranger asks, kindness in his eyes.

I try not to let out an exasperated sigh. He seems really nice and really attractive, but I can't let myself find someone to fill the void of Jack so soon, so suddenly. "Yeah, actually. How about you?" I ask, trying to be polite, but nothing more.

He shrugs. "I'm starting college in the fall out there, but I'm moving early so I can start working and settling in."

I smile. "What do you intend to study?"

"Architecture."

The smile slips from my face and I'm sure I turn the same exact shade as two percent milk. I brace my legs, willing myself not to fall over or faint. His name fills my mind. Jack. Jack. Jack. It's a mantra, it's a repetitive force - one I will never forget; one that will haunt me each day, reminding me of the love I lost.

The love I don't - and never will - deserve.

The stranger doesn't really notice my lapse. "I'm sorry, my name is Avery."

I swallow hard - a love I can never replace. "Uh, excuse me, but we really should board the plane."

I turn away from Avery, knowing that I am leaving behind Jack and with him, my ability to find love. Even though Avery seems like a really nice guy who could be a really nice friend or boyfriend I can't even muster up a bit of interest. I love Jack. I do.

But I'm leaving him behind. And with him, is my love.

***

"Macey!"

I turn away from baggage claim to see my best friends, my beautiful, crazy friends coming, running towards me. Gemma and Olive sprint through the airport, falling into my arms. We all start laughing and crying, but never once do we let go of each other.

We never did let go. I flew thousands of miles away, but they never let go of me. And that's how I know they never will. Time differences and distance will never sever the ties of friendship we have made.

Finally, we pull back from each other and I give them a timid smile, brushing my hair back from my face in a nervous gesture. "Hey, guys."

"Mace, hon, let's get you home." Olive laces her fingers through mine and grabs one of my bags.

Gemma does the same, grabbing my other bag and other hand. "Larkin's waiting in the car so we didn't have to pay for parking."

I smile, with my best friends on either side of me, tethering me to this world that almost took me under. We walk hand-in-hand into a new chapter.

A chapter far less golden, but with far more room to let our dreams live and never die.

•••

A/N: Hey guys! Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving if you celebrated!

Please vote or comment if you liked this chapter - sorry it's rather short.

On the side is a pic of Crystal Reed as Gemma since we haven't had one in a while.

Update: Before Wednesday

Teaser: Macey tries to settle back in

Love always, Samantha XO