A Well Practiced Play

Lola gives me a black colored dress to wear and I absolutely love it. It's not super fancy, but has a sweetheart line that accentuates my bust line and makes my hips appear a tiny bit curvier. I love it so much I might just end up stealing it from her. She offers to do my hair and because I love getting makeovers I sit down willingly and let her get to work.

The finished look is a simple fish tail braid that falls over my shoulder, but she's also placed a simple crown over my hair that is made of rose-gold wire and has a shimmery quality to it. Then she lets me borrow a pair of black heels that make me a good three inches taller.

I don't change my makeup from earlier which is fine since it's just a basic, everyday of champagne and nude colors to begin with. I wish I had my eye crayons that are various shades of gold but alas, Jack has those.

Finally, after Lola and I are both ready, Mia arrives and escorts us to the entry way that we came in earlier. Standing there waiting are five others whom I assume are my fellow interns. Two of them are female and the others are male.

Mia motions around and addresses all of us. "In a moment I will be leading the seven of you into the dining room. Prepare yourselves. In this room awaits your employers and your potential insiders to a future larger than anything you've ever dreamt of. They aren't looking for average. They're looking for the best. If that isn't you than I suggest you leave now and save us the trouble. I am going to go see if they're ready for you and when I return all of you will enter the dining room, composed and ready to impress."

Mia disappears down a hallway and then behind a large set of doors. I turn to the group and shift my eyes to Lola. She's smiling at everyone and waving. "Hi, everyone, I'm Lola."

Everyone nods, smiling back. I can see nerves in some of them, but I feel relaxed - in my element. Lola tries to make talk again. "How about we introduce ourselves?"

I nod, linking my arm with hers before introducing myself. "Okay, I'm Macey Littlefield. I'm from California."

The boy next to me who has fair hair and bright eyes smiles. "I'm Tom Carter and I'm actually from Brighton, England."

It continues: Angel, Adeline, Cael, Micah.

We introduce ourselves and then small talk is made. I watch as the nerves fade out of Adeline and Cael and as Angel, Micah and Tom become more animated. I learn some of their personality traits. Angel is vivacious, but holds back. Cael is quiet and reserved, but has a dry sense of humor. Tom is loud and likes to laugh, but he's also extremely polite and kind to all of us.

I think I'm going to like having him around.

Lola asks why there's one less than there should be and I realize she's right. There's supposed to be eight of us. Tom shrugs. "I'm not sure, but my roommate hasn't arrived yet."

Before much more thought is put into it Mia is back and ready to whisk us away to the dining room.

We enter the grand dining room to find Jeremiah Creal already sitting at the head with his wife Aria to his right. Sitting down the sides of the table are the members of the Creal Publishing Board of Executives. I feel a flutter of nerves in my stomach as I pass them and take my seat which is at the opposite end of the table.

Lola sits next to me and Tom sits across from me. I notice no one takes the seat at the end and I wonder if it was meant for Tom's missing roommate. I lean over to Lola and almost ask her what she thinks, but I'm distracted by a fluster of disruption at the front of the room where Jeremiah is speaking somewhat heatedly to Aria and the man on his right.

All of the interns are busy taking in the elaborate table settings and rich décor of the room, but I'm all ears to what Jeremiah is upset about.

"I told him to be here... He's probably left again! Not a single explanation." Jeremiah's clipped British accent is filled with an angered heat.

Aria lays a calming hand on his arm. "Jeremiah," her voice is gentle, but firm, "he'll be here. Let's not jump to conclusions."

My brow wrinkles in confusion. Who was supposed to be here?

The man to Jeremiah's left is nodding along with what Aria's saying. "Jeremiah, give him until we're done eating. If he's not here by then, we can start overreacting."

Jeremiah's jaw clenches but he takes a sip of his wine and takes a deep breath before standing up at the head of the table. When he talks, I don't even hear the tone of irritation that was lacing his voice a moment ago - he's all smile and poise. "May I be the first to welcome you to the Creal Publishing Home!"

There's a smattering of applause from the interns and board members alike and then Jeremiah continues. "We won't busy ourselves with talks until after we've eaten, so, please, enjoy the meal!"

It's almost like we're in a well-rehearsed play. I can see everyone playing their parts. We, the nervous interns, play the timid roles of those who don't know what to expect from anyone or anything. Jeremiah is the poised executive with a cracked veneer and is soon going to fall apart from stress. Aria is the stronghold that keeps everyone together and those bringing us our food move from the shadows to serving us at the exact moment Jeremiah finishes his warm welcome.

Each person is a part in this production and I'm left wondering if I'll be able to fulfill the part I receive at the end of the meal.

•••

A/N:
On the side is a pic of Tom Felton as Tom.

Please VOTE if you enjoyed it! And COMMENT what you thought!!

Love always, Samantha <3