A View Of The Abyss

Sunday morning Lola isn't in her bed when I wake up. I'm immediately worried because the night before she seemed to close off after dinner. I couldn't help but notice the looks Jeremiah kept shooting at her – filled with his condemnation and power.

I get ready for the day as quickly as I can, dressing in a pair of navy shorts and a white tank top. I braid my hair in a complicated, but easy plat and then put on minimal makeup. I go to the one place I'm drawn to, but shouldn't go to.

I go to Jack.

I knock on his bedroom door, praying he's still in there. A moment goes by and then I hear soft footfalls from the other side as he comes near the door. He opens it to reveal himself clearly just out of bed. He smiles lazily, his hair as lopsided as the smile.

He's only dressed in his boxers and I feel my face heat as I'm reminded of the other night. "Hi, Jack."

His smile grows. "Hey, Sweetness. Come on in."

I step around him, slipping past his bare chest and smelling a faint whiff of his cologne and shampoo – probably just left over from the day before. It's a mixture of man-smell and freshness, but tainted with the mark of his affluence.

Jack crosses to the closet and disappears within. I sit on the couch, still reminded of the other night. Jack speaks from the closet, his voice muffled. "Not that I'm complaining, but what brings you to me so early."

I snort. "It's not early; it's already eleven. But I'm sorry if I woke you up."

He comes back out of the closet, dressed in a pair of jeans and holding a black t-shirt in his hand. I swallow hard when I see him, still clearly attracted by his looks. "Sweetness, this is already the highlight of my day."

I roll my eyes. "Jack, please."

He pulls the shirt over his head and I avert my eyes, forcing myself to cool down. "So, what does bring you to my room?"

I shrug, suddenly reminded of Lola and my contract and all the lies that float around me. "I came because I want an escape from all the pressure and lies that seem to surround this place."

Jack is clearly surprised by the reason I give and I'm surprised I said so much of the truth. I'm coasting awfully close to a very, very thin line.

"Has my father done anything to you?" Jack's voice is stern and I wonder if I sense protection in it.

I shake my head. "No, Jack. I'm fine, really. I just need a break."

Jack smiles, wrapping an arm around me and pulling me close to him so that I can rest against his chest. "I know what you mean, Sweetness. And I have just the place we can escape to."

***

Jack doesn't tell me where we are going; he just makes a phone call and then drives us in his Porsche to the heart of the City. He doesn't rush the car ride, but just smoothly coasts along the roads and holds my hand with the same gentle precaution. No one has ever held me the way Jack does. I dated in high school, but nothing ever serious. Most of the boys were just really good friends in the end. And I'm okay with that, truly. But with Jack... I think I'm starting to love him. And with this love I don't think I could ever be his friend after it's all said and done.

With Jack, I'll always have to love fully. Anything beneath the mark would be too painful.

Finally, Jack parks in the Creal parking garage and we begin walking in the City. It's nice to just be walking the streets, his arm wrapped around me as we take in the beautiful scene. There's just something about being among millions of people that makes you feel more alive than ever before.