Eyes On The Prize

Jack breathes out, running his hand through his hair, clearly frustrated. "He can't send you home... He just can't."

I squeeze his hand which is still holding mine. "Hey, it's alright. I said it already; it's not your fault."

"You know, I don't understand you, Sweetness. I thought this was your dream. Shouldn't you be more upset?"

I sigh, looking down at my feet. "People always told me to chase my dream... And for long as I can remember, I dreamed of living in a City, away from home. I like distance - it makes me appreciate home more. I like the buzz of the City. That's what my dream is. So, yes, this is my dream. But whether Creal is that or not, I don't know. I'll still go to school here, even if I don't remain in the internship. I'll be in a shitload of debt, but I'll stay."

Jack shakes his head, smiling at me. "You won't go into debt if I can help it."

I smile back and lean into his side, craving the support he offers. "Thanks, Jack. I had a really good time today."

He leans over and presses a kiss into the crown of my head. A shudder escapes me and trembles down my body at the touch of his lips. "So did I, Macey."

The door opens abruptly and Jeremiah returns to the office. Jack stands up straight, but not before Jeremiah notices our close proximity. His eyes reach mine and something in them changes - as if he's reminded of something - that something being our little contract. His facial features relax and he takes the seat behind his desk once again.

"As punishment, for your skipping, you will have to face real-life consequences for a week. This means, you will not be allowed to use any form of transportation linked to Creal Publishing or this Home until Wednesday of next week."

Jack looks relieved - I know I am - but he also smirks. "What do you mean? I still have my Porsche, don't I?"

Jeremiah shakes his head. "Find another way, son. And be on time. The other consequence is that you won't be going into the City this weekend on everyone's free days. You'll remain here, at the House."

As much as I hate the two consequences, I can't help but sigh in relief.

I'm not going home.

***

Jack and I part ways as we return to our respective rooms and I'm left with a warm feeling inside me. I actually had a really nice time with Jack today. Consequences aside, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

When I get back to the Lavender Room I find Lola, already lounging in an old pair of leggings and a baggy All Time Low shirt. She's playing music and bobbing her head to it as she types away on her computer. But the moment she realizes I'm back, she turns the music off and shuts her lap top, ready to question me.

"So, where have you been?" She asks with an arched eyebrow. "Rumor has it you and Jackass skipped."

I shrug, trying to wipe the grin from my face, but failing. "Jack and I went to a diner in the City and...lost track of time, I guess."

Lola narrows her eyes. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you enjoyed it." I shrug again, trying to look away, but her piercing gaze holds me. She jumps up from her bed and sprints to me, her small frame stopping me in my tracks. "Macey Littlefield! Tell me you aren't falling for Jackass Creal."

I laugh at her nickname for Jack. "Lola, I'm not falling for him, alright. We had a good time, I won't deny it, but I don't love the guy. He's still a jackass."

A jackass that I can't resist.

Lola wiggles her eyebrows. "So, does Jack like you?" She coos teasingly. "He better not be playing you or I'll cut off his unmentionables."

I roll my eyes, a blush touching my cheeks. "I guess time will tell."

***

When dinner arrives Lola and I make sure we arrive in the Dining room right on time. I look for Jack, but he's nowhere to be seen. I try not to let it bother me that he's missing, until I notice that Mia's missing too. It's just a coincidence I tell myself - surely the two absences aren't connected.

But, at the last minute possible, before they're both marked as late, Jack and Mia enter the Dining room together, laughing. Jack has cleaned up, showered and changed into a fitted charcoal suit and Mia's wearing a tight navy blue dress and her hair is curled and clipped back.

I feel my palms slicken and frustration boil within me as they walk to their seats, heads bent together in a giggling whisper. Giggling. I feel my appetite lessen when I see them before me, clearly flirting. My jaw clenches and I turn away, only to see Lola scowling. She glances at me and shakes her head, disgusted by Jack.

I guess I am too, but why does it hurt so much?

***

After dinner I try to escape to my bedroom without being noticed by anyone, especially since the interns want to watch a movie. I'm just not up for it. I begin heading for my room, anticipating my pajamas and bed, but I'm stopped by Mia.

She smirks at me, pride clearly evident in her very stance. "Macey." She practically spits my name with obvious venom.

I roll my eyes, not wanting to deal with her or her drama. "What, Mia?"

She laughs, amused it seems. "I'm sure you've learned your lesson today."

"Oh? Not to wear that." I say, eyeing her dress. It really isn't the most flattering dress on her or anyone really. Maybe on politicians.

Mia's eyes light with fire. "No, dear. You must realize now, that Jack will never be yours. I told you when you arrived, I am going to be a Creal."

I close my eyes, remembering when I first met Mia. "You aren't a Creal?" ..."I am going to be one... eventually. I'm soon to be engaged to a Creal, you see."

Jack - she was talking about Jack. Why didn't Jeremiah just have her be the one to entrap Jack? Why did he drag me into this? Mia could easily entice Jack into staying.

I shake my head, looking at Mia with disgust. "Do you even love him? Or is it the money and position you're after?"

She scoffs. "I could say the same for you. Position means a lot to you, doesn't it, dear? Let me tell you this, there is a difference between us. I do love Jack. I always have, since we were kids. You see, I'm nearly like a daughter to Jeremiah. It's only fitting I become one to him by marriage."

I shake my head, beyond annoyed by Mia. All I wanted to do was return to my room and sleep, but she had to stop me, she had to make me angry. "Listen, bitch. I don't give a damn if you're trying to win Jack over or not. I'm here for a reason and that reason is to be happy. Don't think for one second I'll let you get in the way. So, please, move."

Mia arches an eyebrow and steps out of my way, clearly thinking she's won. But she hasn't. I don't know if Jack's the prize or not - I don't really care. To me, the prize is the position and I will win it.

•••

A/N:
Please vote if you liked it and comment! It means a lot if you do!

If you guys ever want me to make a playlist for this book or Better Off Alone, just let me know and I will! or maybe a character ask???

Love always, Samantha XO