Darling

Izzy enters from her office, a pleasant smile on her face which fades at the sight of Jack. "Where's Mr. Huisman?"

I smile apologetically, turning from Jack. "I thought the front desk was ringing up for your customer so I just told them to send up the guest, without realizing it wasn't who you were expecting. Sorry."

She sighs, smoothing her shirt and then closes her eyes, breathing in and out, before looking to Jack. "Hello, Jack, pleasure to see you again, but if you'll excuse me, I must finish getting ready for a customer."

Jack nods, his eyes never leaving me. I shift, uncomfortably aware of a tension that connects us, unable to be broken with the embrace we just shared.

I force a smile that probably looks more like a grimace. I should be happy – Jack is here. Coming after me. But, unable to think of a better statement, I say, "I'm sorry about your father."

Jack nods his eyes still steady with mine. "Thank you. It came as a surprise to us all."

I turn and lead him into the apartment more. "Can I get you a drink?"

He shakes his head. "No, I'm fine."

I nod, confused as to why exactly, Jack is here. I move towards my bedroom. "Since my Aunt is expecting someone we should probably be out of her way."

He nods, following me into my bedroom. We both sit on the edge of my bed, awkwardness oozing from both of our too-stiff postures. Or maybe the awkwardness is only one sided. I take in Jack with my eyes, noticing how his shoulders are relaxed, his eyes light and his lips in an amused smile.

"So," I say rather abruptly, "What bring you here?"

Jack lets out a half-laugh, half-sigh and leans back on his hands, which prop him up on my bed. "I came here to thank you."

Shock overtakes me and I freeze again, trying to form a coherent sentence. "Thank me?" Is all I can muster to come out.

He nods, smiling. "Thank you for finding Max for me – I honestly can't thank you enough."

I take in a deep breath, thanking God that something good came from all the terrible. "Oh. He contacted you then?"

Jack nods. "He's moved in with me and he's in the process of taking over the publishing company. My mother has moved back to England." His brow furrows, but he says no more on the matter of his mom. "He's brilliant and talented and has great ambition. He's got amazing ideas for the company..." Jack trails off, his smile lightening. "Which means I can focus on my own ambition. I've decided to continue with architecture."

I feel the pieces of my heart slowly coming back together. Jack has found himself. He has found his own potential and he's golden once again. He's following his own dream, not the dream his father manufactured for him. "Oh, Jack. I'm so happy for you."

Jack looks down, his lips twisted in thought. "I... I wonder if you're willing to tell me why you did it. Why you lied and cheated."

I see hurt settle into his expression and though I'm still beyond happy for him, I can't help but feel sorry for myself. He's clearly moved on from the infatuation he had for me; I was stupid to think he still loved me. He's only here for closure.

"I... I – well, at first, I only wanted to get back at you for being so nasty on the airplane. And I suppose my only goal was to be the best in Creal Publishing. I thought I could achieve it by duping you... But then... I actually started to fall for you and by the time I realized that, I was in too deep with you father. And he was threatening me and my family. I'm sorry, Jack. I don't think I can ever tell you how sorry I am. I ruined all that could-be between us and I regret it every single day."

Jack nods, taking it in and I grow nervous as silence stretches between us. I hear the elevator ping and then the voice of a man, mixed with Isabelle's own voice as the go to her office. Their voices muffle and silence continues between Jack and me.

Jack looks at me, his eyes curious, but relieved. "Macey... Darling." His hand reaches up and holds my face, pulling me closer to him. I wrap my arms around him and settle into the soft fabric of his shirt.

Somehow, Darling holds a new emotion, different from Sweetness. I like it - we've changed, it's only appropriate his name for me does.

"Oh, Jack."

I pull away, my eyes filling with all the sadness and guilt I've felt over this entire ordeal. Jack wipes at them gently, shaking his head. "Don't cry... I also came here to offer you a position at Creal in the Publishing. Max and I both want you there, a part of this new vision."

I take in a breath, shocked that this is even happening. That something so great and good could be given to me after all the terrible heartbreak I've caused. "Oh, Jack..." I shake my head and close my eyes, wishing that Publishing was still my dream. "I can't accept it."

Jack deflates, his face crumpled with confusion. "What?" His voice is hurt, shocked, torn.

I lean back, trying to find the right words. "I thought for the longest time that Creal was the right path for me, but it isn't – I'm sorry. It's not because of you – I just have a different dream now. I'm going to school for writing - not publishing. I've learnt that it's a passion unlike any other for me, like your architecture is for you. It's where I belong."

Jack smiles amusedly at me. "I'm happy for you, Macey. That's... That's excellent news. When you're ready to publish your works – I think I can hook you up."

I laugh. "Thanks, Jack... Thanks for always believing in me."

Jack nods, his hand reaching for me. I realize that even though he's here, I can't just pick up the pieces and start with him where we left off. Trust needs to be built, hearts need to be mended, and new moments need to be made.

"Jack... I don't know why else you came here, but... we can't just go back to how things were between us. Trust was broken, as were hearts – I... I'm asking if you'll still be my friend. I don't know what will come after friendship, but I don't think I can let you just take me back after what I did. I want us to be friends because honestly, I don't deserve you."

Jack stares at me, emotion blank from his face. "Friends?" I watch his eyes, hoping for a hint of what he's thinking, but I can't read his face at all. He nods slowly, looking back at me. "Okay... If that's what you want, I'll go with it. But I still love you, Macey, and I'm never giving up on you."

I smile and a blush touches my cheeks, relieved beyond measure. "I'm not asking you to."

•••

A/N:
Here's another update! I hope you enjoyed it!

If you did, please vote and comment! I really appreciate it!

on the side is a pic of Emily Rudd as Macey

love always, Samantha XO