SetoSolace (Waiting)

*sobs*

WHAT EVEN IS THIS

Title: Waiting

Pairing: SetoSolace

Inspired By: My mother, sad about a child we didn't even know that had died from cancer.

Genre: Fluff/Humor/Angst

Warnings: If you like happy endings, stop at "☼ ☼ ☼ THE NEXT DAY ☼ ☼ ☼."

Notes: The first bit is from Seto's POV. Everything between this (☼ ☼ ☼ SEVEN WEEKS AND THREE DAYS LATER ☼ ☼ ☼) and this (☼ ☼ ☼ THE NEXT DAY ☼ ☼ ☼) is third person POV. Everything after this (☼ ☼ ☼ THE NEXT DAY ☼ ☼ ☼) is Brice's POV.

Word Count: 4,366

"This way, Mom!"

"Seto, honey, wait! Slow down!"

"Mom," I groan, skidding to a stop and turning to face her. "How hard is it simply to move one's body across a patch of pavement at a moderately reasonable speed?"

She raises an eyebrow.

"I-I mean, hey! Congratulations on successfully crossing the parking lot!"

She crosses her arms.

"Mm. Still not good enough?"

She glares at me for a few seconds more before breaking down and grinning. "Not nearly good enough. You do realize you have the most amazing mother in all the world, right? And she deserves respect!"

"Of course, Mother," I reply, doing a strange little curtsey thing with my robe. "I kneel in your presence."

Mom laughs, a sound that I've come to associate with safety and love. "Oh, now, that's not necessary. After all, you are my prince!"

I giggle and then slap my hand over my mouth. Mom is bending forward and clutching her stomach, she's laughing so hard, and I'm glaring at her with all the threatening anger I can muster. "Mom," I hiss, "this is not funny. I just giggled in public! That is basically the utter opposite of manly!"

She snorts, and I try to look offended. "As if you're anything close to manly."

"Rude, much?"

She shakes her head, still smiling. But then she grabs my hand and pulls me over to the curb, and I tilt my head curiously as she pulls us down to sit on it. "What's wrong?" I ask her.

"I just- look, honey, I don't want you to hold back, okay? I want you to make the most out of this. You'll only regret the things you don't do, all right?"

It takes me a moment, but eventually I nod and force a smile.

"I'm sorry, didn't mean to be a downer, but I had to get that out. Live life to the fullest, right? If you wanna giggle in public, then, heck, giggle in public. Come on, let's go use the swings or something," my lovely mother says in an attempt to cheer me up, and I can't say it doesn't work at least a little bit.

"Yeah, good idea," I agree, standing up and holding out a hand to pull her up with me.

"Thank you, Seto." She skips forward a little, and I grin and run after her, jogging (I get tired really easily these days, so it's better to preserve a bit of energy) around her in circles and laughing when she pretends to launch into a battle stance. "Get ready to ruuuumble-!

"Seto?"

I've frozen in place, staring unashamedly at a blond boy sitting on top of the rock wall and writing something in a notebook. He's so into it, with his tongue just barely poking out the side of his mouth and his eyebrows furrowed in concentration. His spiky hair is waving majorly in the wind, but he doesn't seem to notice or care – and are his bright blue eyes sparkling, or is that just me crying about the world not letting me set eyes on this beauty sooner?