Merome (Letters to the Dead)

Title: Letters to the Dead

Pairing: Merome

AU: Letters to the Dead (Soulmate AU) (by me, ayyy!)

Suggested By: LoneShadowFox on Wattpad

Prompt: "Can u please do a rly rly sad...uh...waitlemmethinkofashipthatsnotsetosolace...stillcantthinkofone...got it! A rly rly sad merome? Please? For the llamas? I haven't cried in years and I'm rly scared I'm gonna start bawling at school when they put one of those inspirational videos on. It's actually scaring me. Please? *insert puppy eyes*"

DUDE OMG WHAT THE CRAP THAT IS SUCH A BIG EXPECTATION THO

YOU HAVENT CRIED IN /YEARS/

WHAT IF I CANT MAKE YOU CRY AUGHAHSFL KJ *cue panic*

Genre: fluff, angst

Song: Letters to the Dead (it's on top of the story on Wattpad, and all you FF . Net folks can search it on my YouTube page [hghrules])

Warnings: FIRST PERSON (NOT SECOND PERSON I SWEAR KIND OF) PAST TENSE WHEE OOH WHEE OOH WHAT HAPPENED TO HANNAH- shh, calm down, i'm gonna keep my usual first person present tense thing, i just wanted to do this one mostly in past tense. XD Other warnings: mentions of character death, not suicide.

Word Count: 3,253 HERPADERPADINGDONG THANKS FOR HELPING ME GET OVER MY WRITERS BLOCK, LONESHADOWFOX!

"They're going to pick out their stationary, Mitch," you said, waving your arm out toward the well-decorated store. Painted-on pencils framed the entrance doors, and the windows were made to look like envelopes. It was the most popular stationary store in the state, and, considering that my family was lucky enough to be living in the same town as it, it seemed logical that my sister and her soulmate go there to pick out their stationary. "It's tradition. We learned about it in school, remember?"

I snorted. "Of course I remember it, we have to attend the assembly focused on it every single year." I wasn't exactly the most enthusiastic person ever when it came to the whole soulmate thing. Did they have to make such a big deal out of it? But you, Jerome, you were fascinated by the subject. You couldn't wait to find your soulmate; you read books about soulmates and you watched movies about soulmates and you knew absolutely everything there was to know about soulmates. Ironically, you had yet to find your soulmate even though most of our friends had already found theirs.

Even I had located my soulmate - it was a year or two back when I met her, a sweet girl named Ashley. Our hands brushed and we both felt the tingle, the spark that everyone is always talking about. We stopped dead in our tracks, spun around in the middle of the busy sidewalk, and simultaneously reached out our hands to touch again - sure enough, we sparked the second time, too. Bam - soulmates. It's that easy.

Unless you never feel the spark, which, clearly, you never had. You wanted to, though, you wanted to so badly. I always tried my best to spend more time with you than her, because, pssh, Ashley was fine. She had friends, she had things to do, she was fine. But you? You were alone, mostly. Everyone in our group of friends was moving on, spending more time with their soulmates and less with their tried and true friends. I promised myself I would never do that to you. Even if you never found a soulmate, I'd be there.

"What I don't get is why we have to be here," I finished, glancing over at you. Your hair was a beautiful shade of brown and today it was falling perfectly around your face and your smile was lighting up the whole block and was probably capable of putting the sun out of business and you were just standing there, patiently waiting for me to finish speaking so you could explain whatever concept needed explaining, and I had no idea how you hadn't found a soulmate yet. You were perfect - why couldn't anyone see that? You were the sort of person who it seemed like the universe ought to have broken for, ending up giving you two, maybe ten soulmates simply because you were compatible with and wanted by absolutely everyone. For whatever odd reason, though, that wasn't the case. You didn't have anyone.