Chapter 3 ~ Hogbutts, Halloween, and Howlers*

(I don't own Harry Potter, all rights go to J.K. Rowling)

Chapter 3: Hogbutts, Halloween, and Howlers

  "So, what are we going to be doing for this year's Halloween prank?"

"We could charm the Slytherin's Common room so the colors are scarlet and gold."

"Nah, the Polyjuice potion will take too long to make."

"How, about we blow up the Hogwarts' toilets?"

"Really George, that's the best you can come up with?"

"Well we did promise Ginny to send her a Hogwarts' toilet seat!"

"Let's do that later in the school year."

"Yeah, we want something that everyone will remember."

"Like what we did last year when we changed the Slytherin Snake into a Hogbutt on everything!"

"Well you have Anna to thank for that one; she is the one to find the charm to transfigure all of those robes at once!"

"Wow thank you, thank you all!" Anna said as she stood up and took a bow.

George, Anna, Lee, Angelina, Fred and I were sitting in the Gryffindor common room, trying to come up with ideas for our yearly Halloween prank.

"So, still no prank idea..."

"Oh we could replace the filling in the pumpkin pastries with orange goo."

"No that's too simple; a five year old could do that!"

"Well you couldn't do it and you know it!"

"Here we go again..."

~2 hours later~

"No, Mum loves me more!"

"No, she loves me more!"

I sighed and put my hand in my hands, Fred and George have been going at it for hours.

"Your Mum loves you both!" Anna said trying to calm the twins.

"Not gonna work Anna..." I said.

"But she loves me the most!" Both twins exclaimed at the same time.

The four of us were the only ones in the Common room at this time of the night. Lee and Angelina left for their beds about an hour ago, leaving me and Anna to sort this feud out. Lucky ones, I should have gone up earlier.

20 minutes later and the boys were still having their petty fight. I was tired, and irritated, so I decided to put a stop on this endless bickering once and for all.

"Oi! Both of you just shut up, hug and go to bed! Its 2:45 in the morning and you two are still at each other's throats! Just make up and go to sleep already!" The two looked at each other and sighed.

"Yeah, your right, this was a stupid fight..." Fred said shamefully.

"I can't even remember what we were fighting over!" George said in the same tone as his brother.

"Well George, we were fighting ov-" I cut Fred off mid-sentence, by throwing a pillow at his face.

"I swear, if you two start another row..." I glared at both of them, I could see Anna laughing as she witnessed the sight in front of her.

"Yes Mum." Both boys said, and all four of us started laughing. After a few moments the boys went up to their dorm and we went up the dorm we shared with Angelina and Katie Bell. As soon as my head hit my pillow I was out light.

The next morning a howler couldn't have woken me up. But sadly, Anna isn't a howler...

"Izzy! Izzy get up! I've figured it out! I swear to Merlin Izzy if you don't get your butt out of bed right now! Get up!"

"What the heck is so important that you even think about waking my up before noon on a Sunday?" I moaned as I forced my eyes open to see Anna standing by my four poster bed.

"I've figured it out!"

"Don't tell me you woke me you to tell me you've figured out the answer to Professor Trelawney's essay."

"What! No! Izzy, I've figured –"

"You've figured it out; you've said it about 20 times now! The question is what is 'it'?"

"Shut up and listen! The prank! The Halloween prank! I've thought it all over and it will work! Just tell me, do you still have Mum's vanishing blanket?"

The vanishing blanket is sort of like an invisibility cloak. When Mum was working in her lab one day, she spilt some vanishing potion on a table cloth, and well, it worked! So she soaked a large blanket in the stuff and thus, the vanishing blanket! The blanket was mostly kept in Mum's lab and when she... died... Father blocked off all access to the lab. Lucky Anna and I had the blanket before that, and as far as Father knows, the blanket is still in the lab.

I let out a shaky sigh. You would think it would be easier, thinking about Mum, after all these years...

"Yeah, off course I still have it! That blanket has saved our backs more than once, that blanket is never leaving our possession." I forced myself out of my bed and walked over to my trunk. I pulled the blanket out and instantly, my hands were no more.

"Great, now we just have to get George and Fred up so I can tell them about our awesome plan! And I have the perfect idea on how to wake them up..."

"FRED!!!" I said in a ghostly voice.

"GEORGE!!!!" Anna added in the same tone.

The two of us were under the blanket, acting like ghosts in the boy's dorm. I nudged Anna's side to get her attention. I attempted to act out pulling the blankets off the twins, and thank Godric for twin telepathy because my acting probably looked like someone drowning in the lake. Anna could figure out my horrid acting skills and I counted down to zero with my fingers. On zero we both simultaneously ripped the covers off of the boys.

"Aw, what the?" The two boys sat up as soon as the frigid October air hit their bodies. I stiffed a laugh; the boys were both in their boxers, yet again.

After a few moments the boys caught on, we reveled ourselves, and we went into the common room after the boys got dressed.

"Anna told us of her prank idea for her prank, and let me be the first to tell you, it was brilliant! I never knew my sister had it in her! She's made her little sister proud! "It was early Sunday morning, so we were the only ones in the Common room, aside from Oliver Wood, the Gryffindor Quidditch captain, but he was writing plays in his play book so he gave us no attention.

Tomorrow was Halloween and our plan went into action early that morning.

~Halloween~

Anna and I met the twins early in the common room the next morning with the vanishing blanket in our arms. The four of us crept through the halls using the Marauders' map and the vanishing blanket. When we got to the Great Hall, we walked up to the teacher's table. Anna lied down on the table so her head would be on Snape's plate and her feet were in front of Qurille's plate. I lied down so my head was next to Anna's feet and my body was on Qurille's plate. After we were in place, the boys placed the blanket on us so only Anna's head and my body would show. If this worked out right, then my dearest sister would look like she joined the Headless-Hunt, if you know what I mean.

Once the blanket was in the right position, the boys went into the Kitchen. Anna and I waited for a few moments until a very unlucky first year Hufflepuff entered the Great Hall and ran out screaming. Oh yes my friends, this was going to be fun!

-'YZ