Chapter 39~ Funerals, Friends, and Family

Anna and I sat in the front row, right in front of the coffin. It was made of a dark mahogany wood, and bunches of white flowers covered the lid. I was wearing a dress identical to Anna's that Mrs. Weasley had gotten for us. Our eyes were puffy and red from the amount of non-stop crying we had been doing in the past two days.

We were only ten. We were ten years old, and motherless.

Anna sat in between me and Victor, and Mrs. Weasley sat on the other side of me. Fred and George sat in the row behind us with their dad and siblings.

The funeral itself was short, not over an hour long. There where several groups of people there. Some were friend's of Mum's, some were her family, some were Victor's family, and some were people Anna and I had never seen in our lifes. Of course, Mum's sisters; Aunt Narcissa and Aunt Andromeda showed up (Aunt Bellatrix was in Azkaban, and had been for years now). Aunt Narcissa had her husband and their son, Draco, with her; while Aunt Andromeda was there by herself. She wasn't liked by the Blacks or the other Pureblooded families since she had married a Muggleborn. I hadn't been able to see her many other times before that day, but I knew she had a daughter several years older than myself. She sat in the back row next to a man with sandy hair, tattered robes, and long scars across his face. The man looked deathly pale, and I couldn't tell if it was because he was sick, or deeply sad.

I was a little taken back to see how many people showed up. Mum wasn't liked very much by the more extreme Purebloods. She was a Gryffindor, and was friends with Molly and Arthur Weasley, Blood Traitors. But Mum didn't care, she raised Anna and I to be our own people, and to respect others no mater what their background. She would go behind what Victor would tell us and tell us things that would contradict what he'd told us. She wanted us to judge people on their character, not on things that they couldn't control. Anna and I agreed with her.

My Mum was a wonderful person, and I couldn't believe she was gone.

In her will that she had written during the war, she asked to be buried with her wand, her school tie, and an old charm bracelet that we were able to find.

It was a simple silver chain with a stag, a doe, a rat, a dog, a wolf howling at the moon, an 'I' and an 'A' on it. Anna and I figured that the letters were our initials to our first names, but we couldn't figure out what the animal charms stood for.

Mum left Mrs. Weasley a large cardboard box, and for Anna and I, the money in her vault. Victor had closed off all access to Mum's lab after coming home the day that she died, but Anna and I were in possession of Mum's vanishing blanket. He didn't know about the blanket, and Anna and I had planed on keeping it that way. We felt it would be helpful when we got to Hogwarts the following year.

The officiant ran the service, and people came up to talk about Mum. Mrs. Weasley went up to the podium to talk, but had to be helped back to her seat after she couldn't get a word out through her tears.

I had almost expected the raggedy looking man to go up and speak, but he just stayed in the back with Aunt Andromeda.

The scene changed and the coffin was being lowered into the ground. I was clutching George's hand, and doing all I could to keep myself from yelling at the men putting my mother in the ground. Anna was sobbing into Fred's shoulder and both the boys had grim looks on their faces.

A freshly carved stone stood at the head of the grave. 'Marissa Black Thompson, Loving Wife, Mother, Sister, and Friend' was carved into it followed by her birth date and her death date.