Chapter 42~Studying, Sleep and Scandals

As our birthdays present, Fred and George both agreed to study with Anna and I form the time our birthday came along to the first day of O.W.L. testing.  Anna and I were both overjoyed to hear that, and to think that we had actually convinced the two of them to study.

Anna and I were so caught up in studying that we didn't even realize that the two of them had charmed their books to show the pages of different Muggle comic books.  We decided that some battles we worth fighting, but that one was not on the list.

It's the thought that counts, right?

The week of exams was a nightmare.  I was already getting little amounts of sleep, and the time when I wasn't in the Great Hall taking an exam, I was studying for which ever one I had upcoming.  Halfway through O.W.L.'s week, Fred had had enough of that.

"Izzy, come on.  You need to sleep."  Fred said to me as I sat in the Common Room surrounded by  books and notes.

"Sleep?  Sleep is an unknown and unneeded concept at the moment.  What is needed is the exact moment in which you need to add a third of a toad's eye to a potion th-"

"Izzy.  Stop.  Just put the books down and go to bed.  Please?"  He begged with a worried tone in his voice.

"But it's only 7-"

"And you haven't sleep in a week!  You're wearing yourself so thin, you're going to end up crashing and burning if you don't stop and rest for a few hours."

"But I need to know this stuff!"  I exclaimed, flipping through the pages of a different text book that I had gotten from the library the other day.

"You do know this stuff!  You're brilliant already, and no test score is going to say any differently.  Look at yourself, Izzy, you're letting yourself go.  When was the last time you've gotten more than an hour's worth of sleep?  Or the last time you've eaten more than an apple or a few crisps? Or brushed your hair? Or even changed out of your school uniform?"  He exclaimed.  He let out a sigh before continuing.  "Please Iz, I don't wanna see you do this to yourself."

I looked up from my book at his face.  He looked tired as well and I realized that he had probably gotten as much sleep as I had, maybe a little more.  Each time I would be studying, Fred would be by me, flipping through a book, or doodling on some scrap parchment.  He had such a sad look in his eyes; he didn't want to see me like this.  Hell, I'd probably be shocked to see myself if I'd take the time away from looking at a book to do so.

I closed the book with a sigh.  He was right.  "Carry me?"  I asked quietly.  He processed the words and his face lit up with a smile.  He gladly took the book to my hands and tossed it with the others, claiming it would be there tomorrow.  He picked me up and carried me up to his dorm, where he placed me on his bed and the two of us wiggled into the covers after kicking off our shoes.

"I'm probably all gross."  I said while curling up against him, resting my head on his chest.

"No you're not, you're beautiful."  He countered.  "You would be beautiful in a burlap sack."  He added with a tired grin.

"Yeah, sure, whatever you say."  I said, half asleep.

He let out a chuckle.  "See, sleep, Love."

"I love you."

"I love you too, Izzy."

I let out a yawn and soon fell asleep.  Even though it was only 7 p.m. and the sun was just setting.  I got about 12 hours of sleep that night, and I was very glad Fred was able to convince me into sleeping that night.