Rise and Shine

I didn't wake up to River, but rather to Flea.

He sat on the ground in front of the TV, watching something I was unfamiliar with.

I blinked repeatedly and rubbed my face as I tried to stay quiet. Restlessly, I rolled over to my side so that I wasn't facing Flea. He must have noticed my movement and realized I was awake.

"Rise and shine, Carm," He said, rocking my shoulders back and fourth. I rolled over, only to be revealed to a very sleepy-looking Flea.

"Quite the sleep you got, eh? We've been up waiting for ya since 9." He told me.

"What time is it?" I wondered. Flea glanced at his watch and laughed, raising his eyebrow.

"It's almost 12, sweetie. You better get your ass up." He insisted before laughing and walking out of the room.

The shuffling coming from his room signaled to me he was getting ready to leave.

Quickly I sat up and slipped on my shoes, examining the room. There was no sign of River or Piper.

"Hey Flea," I yelled curiously. I heard a faint 'hm' come from his room. "Where did Piper go? And where is River?" I asked.

Flea's footsteps filled the room as he walked out in a completely different outfit and a set of keys in his hand.

"Piper left at about 7.  She said she was going back home or somethin'. And River's, well, I don't know. He kinda just roams around sometimes; probably went to see his family or hangout with Keanu. Don't know when he'll come back around." He answered honestly.

He made his way towards to door before commenting.

"I've got some recording to do so I'm heading out. You're welcome to hang around here if you ain't got anything else to do. Just try not to break anything." He joked, winking at me before he left.

I got up to lock the door and then moved to the kitchen, piling into the fridge.

I couldn't help but feel stupid for staying, and I hoped I wouldn't seem like a homeless pig for raiding their kitchen rather than returning home.

But what did I have to lose?

I was two episodes of The Simpsons and one bowl of cereal into my day when I heard knocking at the door.

I rolled my eyes and lazily got up, pressing my eye against the small hole in the door.

To my surprise, it was Piper who waited on the other side.

I slung it open, casually spilling another spoonful of cereal into my mouth. Her face brightened when she saw me, but my expression remained the same. I can't lie, I was still rather annoyed from being left last night.

And she knew that.

"Carmen," she started as she held her head.

"Hungover?" I asked, returning to my designated spot on the couch. I heard the door shut and she walked over to me, sighing.

"I'm sorry I left you." She told me.

I thought back to how mad I had been because she abandon me. But I also thought back to how happy I was to be left alone with River.

I contemplated my response.

"You know, it's whatever." I replied casually. "You had fun, Flea had fun, that's what matters." She smiled at me and nudged my shoulder. I sent her a confused look as she smirked.

"I don't know if you're ganna believe this but, I think River totally digs you." She told me.

A knot formed in my stomach and I stopped eating my cereal. I cringed.

"Is that bad?" She asked me. She must have noticed the uncomfortable look on my face. I shook my head.

"Why do you think that?" I asked.

She rolled her eyes and slung her arm around me, pulling me into her chest. Then mockingly stroked my hair and squeezed my shoulders.

"Yeah, this feel familiar to you?" She asked, laughing. A small smile cracked on my lips as I pushed her off.

"Okay, stop it." I told her. "It was raining! We couldn't sleep." She laughed at my defensive comment and shoved me lightly.

"Couldn't sleep, my ass. You both looked pretty cozy to me." She replied.