The Promise to Rain

After days of planning, I finally gathered the courage to call and arrange a flight.

Piper and I decided that a surprise visit would be the most exciting, so I refrained from telling my parents the plan.

River was kind enough to send a couple hundreds through the mail for the flight. Even though I told him multiple times he didn't need to, he still did.

'Money is a material thing', he always said.

-

We packed light for the flight. Not only because we didn't have much to bring, but because we didn't plan on staying long.

Truthfully, I was too lazy to lug my closet around.

Before we left, I decided to call River's agent, Iris.

The phone rang four times before she answered.

"Iris Burton," she announced, as if she said it millions of times.

"Hi, it's Carmen. Can I talk to River?" I questioned.

"He's in Boise. Can I just take a message?" She wondered, sounding as if her day was already at it's peak of stress.

"Can you just let him know we're leaving today, so I'll try to call him as soon as I can?"

She laughed on the other side of the phone.

"I'll let him know." She replied.

"Oh! And say thanks for the money. Really. Really thank him a lot. He didn't need to." I said quickly before she could hang up.

Again, she laughed.

"Don't even mention it. He's a nice boy. He sent one of his friends 10 grand for college tuition once, so a couple bills for his lady is no big deal." She said confidently.

"Just say thanks, from me." I insisted once again.

-

Our flight seemed to last forever, but only because of my constant worry. I couldn't help but wonder if my parents would be excited to see me or not.

They'd have no reason not to be, but I feared seeing them again. It was nice to feel some freedom.

Nebraska looked the same as I remembered; almost as if I'd never left. The air was much clearer here than the air that Hollywood had to offer.

I can't lie, I missed it.

We were now standing outside of my old house; it looked as it always did.

Piper and I held onto our luggage as I knocked on the door.

I could hear footsteps, most likely my mother's, for a few seconds. My heart pounded, and soon, the door opened.

I smiled as my mother's face revealed itself; her face brightening as she saw us.

"Oh my god!" She said happily, reaching to embrace me.

I felt Piper join in on our hug that seemed to last forever. When we pulled away, few tears escaped my mother's eyes.

"I forgot to say surprise." I laughed, stepping inside of the house.

Soon, my father joined us; his reaction just as beautiful as my mother's.

It had only been a year and a half since I moved, but to them It felt like a lifetime.

-

"Why didn't you call?" My mother asked as we all sat in the living room.

"I wanted to surprise you guys." I answered simply.