Nostalgia

Piper decided to decline River and I's invite to return home. Instead, she dedicated her day to finding Flea.

"I'm not coming home until I find him." She stated before we headed our separate ways.

-

"So what's up with those two?" River asked, stuffing his fists inside his jacket pockets.

"Couldn't tell ya," I answered honestly. "I think Piper likes him but.. you didn't hear that from me."

River laughed and nudged my shoulder.

"Well I think Flea likes her but.. you didn't hear that from me." He mocked.

"Ha-ha, very funny." I said sarcastically. He rolled his eyes and chuckled.

"I'd say I'm quite the source of entertainment, wouldn't you?" River wondered aloud.

"I'd say you're.... interesting." I replied, earning me a slight blush.

-

By the time we had reached home, River's eyes were practically closed and drained from exhaustion. I walked alongside him until we reached his bedroom, where he immediately laid down.

I heard him sigh dramatically as he adjusted himself.

"Are you not going to stay?" He wondered aloud. The raspiness of sleep coated his words, and I could tell he spoke out of exhaustion.

I looked at River's practically drained body. He seemed lifeless.

Part of me wanted to stay like he'd asked; I don't know who could resist the sight of his sleepiness and the nest of his hair as it flowed into every direction.

But for some reason, I did.

"I already slept." Decent excuse, I told myself.

"You're right. Go do something productive. Enjoy time alone, I know I would." He lightly complained as he turned to his stomach.

"Be safe." I heard him mumble.

I took one final look at him before heading off.

"Goodnight." I finished, and exited the room.

-

Go do something productive, River's voice echoed in my head.

I stood outside his bedroom door for a few seconds, and then headed to the basement.

I changed out of my attire and dressed in something a little more presentable, but truthfully, it was the first thing I could find.

Piper's oversized red jacket found it's way around my shoulders, but I was praying I wouldn't run into her; she'd kill me if she saw me in her jacket. But, it was a chance I was willing to take.

I headed back down the street towards the small shops we'd been to earlier.

No sign of Flea or Piper; I wonder if she's found him yet.

My eyes locked on a payphone carved into the side of a building. My parents, I thought to myself. I haven't talked to them since I'd moved. Should I call them?

I found my legs carrying me straight to the phone. My heart and stomach twirled at the thought of talking to my parents again.

-

I inserted all the change I could find buried in my pockets and punched in the 10 numbers that were guaranteed to make or break my day. It was nerve-wracking.

Four rings were all my ears could focus on until the sound of my mothers voice sent nostalgia to my veins.

"Hello?" Her voice sounded tired and confused.

"Mom, it's me." I informed.

The line was speechless for seconds until I heard her slight gasp on the phone.

"Carmen, I didn't know when you'd finally call us. How has adulthood been treating you?"

I stopped to think about it, how has it been treating me? Pretty good, I've just been spending my time developing a love for River Phoenix, who's now one of my best friends; I jokingly told myself. No, she wouldn't buy it.

"Interesting." Was the word I resulted to.

"How has Piper been? You know, since she's your guardian now."

"The same as usual; always looking to have a good time. She kind of has a boyfriend now." I said.

"She's actually settling down?" My mother wondered aloud, making me laugh.

"I guess boyfriend is a bad word for it but, she really likes him." I informed.

"And what about you, Carmen? Anyone catch your eye?" She asked.

My stomach twisted before answering.

"I'm ganna tell you mom but you need to stay calm," I told her honestly. "I don't want you to freak out." I knew my mother was a fan of River's, and her reaction could go one of two ways. Either she doesn't believe me, or she believes every second of it.

I wasn't sure which was worse.

"I kind of made a new friend." I said, starting off easy.

"Who is it? Someone famous?" She asked.

I rolled my eyes at myself before answering, I can't believe I'm about to say this.

"I guess you could say that. You know River Phoenix, right?"