Happy Birthday, Carmen (pt 3)

The night goes on,

and on,

and on.

Twelve o'clock turns to 1, turns to 2, turn to 3; and the Viper Room is still in full swing.

Though Piper and I have just settled on our last drinks, it seems as if no one else has done the same.

All the people we had came here with are oblivious to the meaning of sober, especially River.

The night slowly becomes more risky with every beer a friend of ours takes down.

I can practically sense trouble.

-

Piper and I talk late into the night, refusing to give up our usual booth in fear that someone else might dare to occupy it. Meanwhile, the boys' continuously order drinks, dance, and occasionally sing on the tables.

"Get up here!" River yells, grasping at my wrist.

He's attempting to pull me on top of the table, likely to join him in song.

"I think you should get down, Riv." I say, and try to be gentle as I tug on his shirt. "You're pretty drunk. I don't want you to fall."

"Fall, shmall." He laughs. "Who cares! It's all in good fun, isn't it?"

I slightly laugh and shake my head.

"Come on, doofus." I insist, again getting hold of his sleeve.

He first refuses, but then cooperates as I help to lower him to the ground while he childishly kicks his feet.

"Don't grab my armpits," he giggles. "That tickles."

I ignore his comment and finally get him on the ground; in his face, you can see his distortion, though he's somehow still sane.

"Don't worry, I'm done drinking." He tells me, and then pats his pockets. "But where are those damn cigarettes?"

Flea hands him an American Spirit cigarette; the only type that River would ever dare to smoke.

"Thanks, man." He says, and sparks it up.

The smell almost instantly dances around my nose.

He offers me one, but I decline.

"How long are we going to loiter this place?" I question. "It's about closing time."

Around us, security locks the doors from the inside, a clear indication that they are no longer welcoming new club-goers.

Still, though, the Viper carries a carnival of people under it's roof.

"Yeah, we should get headed soon." River says anxiously. "You know, get rockin' and rollin'."

"Nothing like some birthday sex!" Flea jokes.

"That's right! It's time to get down!" River screams.

I laugh and sarcastically shake my head; Piper does the same.