Under An Influence

The Viper Room was a small club; a black box with a stage in the corner.

Some people thought of it as the best place Hollywood has to offer, and some thought the worst. And I was standing at it's door.

-

The first step into the crowded, black box is always the same. The ground shakes, the music blasts, the air gets heavy with the smell of drugs, and your mind loses every inch of sanity it has.

It's like stepping into an entirely different life; like the world stops outside of it's doors.
But something about entering was like a drug peaking; it was exciting and scary all at once.

I followed Piper to our designated location in the club, the back corner closest to the stage.

It was there that we met Flea and River, who were surrounded by crowds of unfamiliar people. I watched Flea's eyes as he caught sight of us.

"Carmen, Piper; my ladies!" He yelled, reaching over to grab us. We shuffled uncomfortably through the thick layer of bodies that separated us from them.

River threw his arm around me when he saw me, beginning to set down the blunt he had twirled between his fingers.

I reached over to it before he could set it down, taking it and putting it between my lips.

I deserve to calm down, I thought. And what helps better than.. wait, what is this?

The taste seemed unfamiliar to me, but whatever it was, it hit fast. I felt my eyes begin to drop just enough to be noticed. The one hit was enough to have me passing the blunt to the first person to take it.

When I glanced at River I noticed he had been watching me.

A small smile peeked from his lips as he examined me. It was then that I noticed the redness that surrounded his eyes and the sleep-deprived look that plastered on his face.

High, I suspected. But am I one to talk?

It is Hollywood, however. If you're sober at The Viper Room, you might as well leave. And after the past few months, the last thing on my mind was safety.

My thoughts interrupted when Piper's hand found its way to my shoulder.

"Let's go get some drinks, okay?" She insisted. I turned to River, who gave me a laugh and an indication it was okay to leave.

"Go! Have fun!" He yelled, turning to a man who had been fighting for his attention.

I shrugged at Piper and followed her through the crowd to the bar.

Before the bartender could even ask what we wanted, Piper spoke up.

"Surprise me." She said, a hint of flirtation in her voice. He smiled and handed her two shots of whatever whiskey he'd chosen.

Piper handed me one and smiled.

"To us. To a life long friendship that is only getting better." She stated as we clicked our glasses together. And that was when the night truly started.

-

By the time 11:00 had rolled around, Flea had preformed, Piper had gotten as drunk as she possibly could, and River had made hundreds of new friends.

And I? I had been taking almost every blunt or joint I was offered. Why? Good question. I guess the constant stress of everyday life had me begging for an outlet.

Here, I found it.

I tried to ignore the tingling sensation in my body and the constant goofy smile I could feel glued onto my face. And after what seemed like forever, I shuffled over to River who was deep into conversation with an extremely familiar man.

"Carmen, this is Keanu." He said, referring to the dark haired man he'd been talking with. Keanu Reeves, I thought to myself. I should have known.

"Nice to meet you." I half talked, half screamed over the loud music.

"You too. Can I ask you a question?" Keanu yelled back, catching mine and River's attention simultaneously.

"How stoned are you?" He yelled to me.

I could feel my over-exaggerated face of confusion form on me. River glanced at me and looked into my eyes, laughing hysterically.

"Well shit, Carmen. I see you're having a good time." He said excitedly as he pulled me into an embrace.

"Group hug!" I heard Keanu yell seconds before his chest slammed against my back.

At once, I was rushed with pure happiness. It felt almost like a switch flipped inside of me once the hug broke. Joy rushed through my veins and I grabbed onto River and Keanu at once.

It is deffinetly peaking now.