A Real Wild Side

We watch as a high River stumbles through a crowded room. His distorted face helps him blend into the rest of the drunken mosh pit.

At the same time, my eyes are drawn to him.

I study his jello-like limbs as he approaches a group of older men who occupy the middle of the club.

They seem to not be phased by his presence, likely because his rough appearance wipes off every inch of fame that he would normally possess.

Almost immediately, he begins yelling and laughing; his once soft voice is now deeper and raspy.

When I had finally seen enough, I turn to Gus and Piper.

"He's being really loud," Piper told us, crossing her arms. "I'm not really in the mood to deal with this because I'm trying to talk to Flea. But, just keep an eye on him."

I nodded to Piper and thanked her, telling her that it was okay to find Flea.

Hopefully, Gus and I could handle it.

Rather than approach River, we watched him from afar.

Unless he began causing a scene, we decided not to interfere. He might get mad.

As Gus and I stood inches away from an oblivious River, Martha approached us.

She glanced quickly at him and shook her head, a sick expression washing over her face.

"I can't believe he's still like this," she started, looking away from him. "It's been so many years. How has he not gotten better?"

Gus and I narrowed our eyes at her.

"What do you mean?" I wondered.

"River's been doing this kind of thing for a while. Off and on, but still. I used to always yell at him about it but he never wanted to change." She explained. "Eventually I gave up."

We all looked to River as he lunged himself towards another swarm of people.

"Hey man!" He yelled to them, just loud enough so we could hear.

Martha took one final look and then turned her eyes to us.

"Anyways, I got to head out. It was nice meeting you, Carmen. And good luck with the movie, Gus." She said, sending us a small smile before heading to the exit.

The night was plummeting fast, and the possibilities seemed limitless.

-

We surveyed River for what seemed to be countless hours.

For most of the time, he was socializing and making friends with anyone he could lay his eyes on. 

People seemed to enjoy his company, no matter how high he was.

Gus and I finally worked up the courage to have a normal conversation with him, and find out just how much he had taken.

And of course, what it was.

To look like I was clueless to what was happening, Gus and I grabbed a shot before we approached him.