Reality Check

I woke up the next morning fully dressed from the previous night.

Thinking back, I couldn't remember much that had happened besides River's car accident and the quiet but shameful ride home.

I must have fallen asleep the second I got back.

Tiredly, I ripped off my jeans and socks and the rest of my party attire and substituted it for whatever was laying on the floor near me.

Since Piper was sound asleep next to me, I figured it was early.

What to do when you wake up early?

Well, a shower sure sounds nice.

I trudged out of my room and to Gus's closet, removing a towel from his pile on the shelf and headed towards the bathroom.

On the way there, my eyes caught sight of River asleep on the couch in the living room.

His arm and leg dangled off of it as his face remained pressed against a white pillow.

I suspect he'll probably be sleeping all day.

-

Showers are one of my favorite parts of the day.

It was exactly what I needed.

Like any normal person, I scrubbed down my hair with a bottle of white shampoo. Even though it smelled strictly like a pine forest, I didn't care.

Before rinsing out the product, three loud bangs crashed against the door of the bathroom.

"Carmen!" River yelled, his voice muffled under the sound of running water. "I'm really sorry."

Resisting the urge to open my eyes, I huddled over and crossed my arms, unsure of whether or not he was planning on coming in.

"Can we talk about this later?" I yelled back, hurriedly rinsing the shampoo from my hair and face. "I'm kind of busy!"

He continued to bang on the door.

"Doing what?" He asked, and I could hear him fidgeting with the door knob.

Good thing I locked it; I hope.

"What do you mean, 'doing what'? I'm taking a shower!" I yelled.

"Well, get out!" He insisted.

I mentally rolled my eyes and stepped out from underneath the water so I could hear more clearly.

"I'm almost done," I yelled. "Just wait."

"Ugh!" He groaned. "Can you hurry it up?"

"Why don't you just give me a second, huh?"

No response, thank god.

I hurried with the rest of my shower and turned off the water, cringing slightly as the cold air touched my skin.

Wrapping my towel around me, I held it together and exited the bathroom.

River was waiting outside the door for me, his face tired and hair rough.

"What do you need?" I asked him, trying to sound less annoyed that I was.

"I'm sorry about yesterday," he started. "For wrecking the car and-,"