Family

Two weeks had gone by since Piper's fight at the Viper, and we hadn't stepped foot inside ever since.

Not only because of her incident, but because River, Flea, and Keanu have been out of town.

For the last week they've been talking to Gus Van Sant about the roles he previously offered them.

The movie is to be called My Own Private Idaho.

Supposedly, it's a story of two street hustlers who journey to find their lost mother.

River and Keanu had been debating the roles for a long time. I'm not sure what made them so on-edge about taking Van Sant's offer.

But, just as I suspected, they did.

Word came from River that he'd be coming back home today. He also instructed us to meet at his apartment as always.

I hadn't spent much time on bettering my appearance before we left; one of the many perks of River was his adoration for naturalism.

I took advantage of it.

Piper and I trudged down the very famous Sunset Boulevard, as we did multiple times a day.

Once we reached the apartment, we headed to the 4th floor.

Piper's arm gripped mine tightly.

"Can I ask you something?" She wondered as we stood outside the door.

"Yeah." I responded.

"Are you worried?" She asked, her voice full of emotion.

A strange wave of goosebumps washed over me, like something wasn't right.

"What would I be worried about?" I questioned.

The air shifted.

"With River and stuff. He's always doing these movies. Aren't you even the slightest bit apprehensive about the relationship?" She asked me.

It was an acceptable question.

"I mean of course I worry. That's kind of my job as his girlfriend after all." I answered.

She seemed pleased at my response so we headed in.

-

I stuffed one hand into my pocket as we entered the apartment.

As always, my heart beat fast at the sight of River.

He was sitting on the ground, Flea occupying the entire couch and Keanu half asleep on a chair. They all starred at the TV that played an unfamiliar cartoon.

"Hey." Piper said, capturing their attention.

All their heads turned to us as they got up.

"Holy shit." Flea said, running to Piper. "I missed you."

I realized how weird it was that Flea and Piper weren't dating yet. Isn't it obvious they like each other?

My confusion was cut off by a familiar pair of arms lifting me off the ground. I could tell by the gentle touch it was River.

"The first episode of The Simpson's is airing right now. You're right on time!" He told me.

I laughed and followed him to the spot he was previously at on the floor.

"What's up with you and floors?" I asked him.

He laughed and pulled me closer, putting his head on my shoulder so that he was speaking into my neck.

"Couches are stupid. Not everyone has a couch or a bed or a chair, but we all have the earth." He stated. I could tell he was tired by the lack of passion in his voice.

"That's all you got?" I questioned jokingly.

He looked at me and furrowed his eyebrows, obviously confused.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"I don't know, usually you have some really intense theory." I answered.

He shrugged and turned his attention back to the TV.

We didn't say much for a while, it was mostly quiet besides The Simpsons. I started to worry if my remark offended him. Before I could ask, he already had spoken up.

"Can I talk to you?" He wondered.

My head nodded but my heart fell. As always I found myself in a state of worry. I'm sure it was noticeable on my face as he led me to his room.

We turned on the light and I sat on his bed while he closed the door quietly. He stood with his back to me for a few seconds.

The seconds felt too slow to be seconds. It seemed like years.

I couldn't take my eyes off of him as he turned around revealing the streams of tears in his eyes.

None had fell yet, but I assumed they would any second.

"I hate this." He started, still standing. "I just fucking hate this. All of it. Everything."

"What?" I wondered.

"These people expect so much from me, you know?"

But I didn't know. I barely understood.

"I need to be with my family again," he started. "I'm going to fly them out to be with me. It's too hard."

I could tell by the distraught look on his face that something had happened but I didn't have the heart to ask.

"Then do it." I told him.