Butterflies

Waking up seemed unfamiliar; it was like waking up in a different life.

Something had changed, and I couldn't figure it out.

Piper was just getting up, her face scrunched and her eyes met mine, curiously.

"Where'd they go?" She wondered. It took me a second to realize that River and Flea had disappeared.

"No idea," I started. "I didn't even hear them get up."

Piper sighed and shook her head.

"We're always losing them." She joked, getting up and putting on her shoes.

"Where are you going?"

"To find them," she answered, tossing my shoes to me. "Are you coming or what?"

When we finally realized the whole house had vanished, we headed out down the street.

"Where do we go?" I asked. Piper looked both ways and shrugged.

"I don't know. I don't know my way around here." She answered. I rolled my eyes and grabbed her hand, walking off into a random direction.

We headed down the street and eventually came upon a small shopping area. Different colored stores and businesses lined up and down the streets on both sides.

"If I was River and Flea, where would I go?" I wondered aloud. Piper rolled her eyes and examined the streets.

"Knowing Flea, a guitar shop," Piper began, "knowing River, probably playing with butterflies or something." She joked. I let out a slight laugh and looked around. Piper noticed my chuckle and sent one back, nudging my shoulder.

"Yeah, you laugh because it's true." She defended.

We continued walking until we caught sight of a busy park. Tiredly, we headed to the closest bench we could find and sat down.

"Guess who I found," Piper started.

I looked up and glanced around until my eyes met River. He was holding a small dog I had never seen before; probably a stray. I watched as he set the dog down in the grass and let it run free.

"Goodbye Geronimo!" He screamed, as if he was saying his goodbyes to a close friend.

I laughed and got up, walking over to him.

"River, what are you doing?" I asked jokingly. He turned around quickly and smiled, reaching out to embrace me.

"Well look who found me!" He laughed.

I returned his hug and rubbed the back of my neck.

"Why did you decide to leave?" I asked him. He laughed and threw his hands up, spinning in a circle.

"It's such a beautiful day, Carmen! I had to start it early, of course." He answered simply. I shook my head and let out a slight laugh. Early? How early?

"When did you get up?" I asked him. He smiled excitedly at me and shook his head.

"Now, who said I ever went to sleep?" He asked slyly.

I shook my head. He is impossible.

I examined him, noticing his old pajamas, clearly uncombed hair, and black shading that lined the bottom of his crazy blue/green eyes. How can he look so sloppy, but so good? Whatever, that's a question for another time.

"You have to be exhausted, Riv. I can see the bags under your eyes." I told him. He was about to speak until I interrupted him.

"Get some sleep, River."

He shook his head and laughed, removing the lose strands of hair from his face.

"What is sleeping?" He began, and I could tell he was going to spiral into one of his intense speeches. I wasn't excited for it, but I decided to let him continue.

"We sleep, Carmen, but what is it? Perhaps it's a way to shut down our bodies, letting us enter a spiritual life for a couple of hours, like a coma. Or maybe it's much more than that." He trailed off.

"You know what I think sleeping is?" I asked him. He narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms.

"What do you think sleep is, love?"

I decided to ignore the nickname and continue.

"Something you need." I responded.

River shook his head and laughed, throwing his arm around my shoulder and walking towards Piper.

"You're a funny one," River started.

~~~~
Sorry beyond words for disappearing for so long. I've been extremely insecure about my work lately and have had some pretty bad writers block. I'm hoping it's gone now though😂 Thank you for all the nice comments and messages as well, I have just read them all and I am extremely thankful.