Happy Birthday, Carmen (pt 2)

"So it's okay if I bring a few friends, right?" Hanna, my old co-worker from the Viper Room, asks over the phone.

I use my left index finger to press down on my ear, helping me to drown out the restless chatter of the guests.

"Yeah, totally fine." I say, and then peer over to the door.

Entering the apartment is Martha; she carries a small blue box with a silver bow on top.

I didn't know she was coming.

"Hey," I start. "I have to go, but I'll see you when you get here!"

Hanna sends me a quick goodbye and hangs up, allowing me to make my way towards the door.

"Hey, Martha." I say, watching as her smile grows.

"Happy birthday!" She exclaims, tossing her arms around me. "I got you a bunch of miscellaneous things, so just keep an open mind."

I examine the box and take it from her, setting it on a pile of nearby presents.

"You really didn't need to get anything." I tell her. "But thank you. I'm sure I'll love it."

She smiles at me and wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"Where's lover boy?" She questions, a hint of teasing in her voice.

"The kitchen, I'm sure. He made this chocolate cake this morning and can't stop talking about it." I tell her.

Martha lets out a few chuckles and walks with me to the kitchen. Just as I suspected, River and a few unfamiliar friends occupy it.

"Do you know how many cups of flour I wasted trying to mix all this shit together? Enough to make me lose sleep at night, that's for sure." River explains, and then notices Martha. "Hey, I made this cake!"

"I see that." She laughs. "Good job, Betty Crocker."

"River Crocker." He corrects, and then straightens himself up. "Ah, it is I, River Crocker!"

"Did you just say River Cocker?" Flea asks, clearly entering the kitchen at the wrong time. "Because if so, I need to get in on this conversation."

River howls in laughter and claps a single time.

"River Cocker, even better! The Defender of Dicks, and Rubber Penis!" He screams. "Penis jokes, penis jokes."

"I have a penis joke for you! Okay, three penises enter a bar-," A man starts, causing Martha to roll her eyes and accompany me out of the room.

"Oh, damn it," I tease. "I really wanted to hear that penis joke."

Martha laughs and shakes her head.

"Maybe if we're lucky enough we can come back in time for all the vagina jokes." She says, and then peers behind me. "Oh hey, Keanu."

"Hey girl."

Turning my head towards his familiar voice, I see him.

He wears a thick black jacket and pair of new jeans; his hair is slicked back and fresh.

"Wow, looking good." I say, and allow him to blush.