Separated from Reality

I awake to an empty house.

As I turn my head, I can see that River has fallen asleep with a hand on my head and another on my side.

For a while, I debate whether or not to get up, being that I don't want to wake him.

I allow my head to rest in his lap for a few more minutes until I sneak out from under his grip.

He must be in a deep sleep; he doesn't even flinch.

After thoroughly rubbing my eyes, I head to the phone and call Piper.

It's been a day, yet it feels like forever.

Four rings in, she picks up.

"Hello?"

"It's me."

She gasps.

"Carmen," her voice trails. "How is it?"

"Decent. I already want to come back, to be truthful." I admit.

She laughs slightly.

"I already want you back."

I smile; the phone remaining quiet.

"Did you tell Flea?" I wonder.

"Yes." Her voice spirals into a saddened tone. "He ended it."

I don't talk; rather I press my forehead against the wall and look to my feet, keeping the phone at my ear.

What do I say?

"I'm sorry." I tell her.

She scoffs; I can imagine her shaking her head.

"Don't be. I mean, what should I have expected? It's not like he was going to be okay with it. But, he said he just needs time. So maybe that's good."

"Maybe." I answer. "You told him the truth and that's what's important."

I can sense her smile.

"He's leaving soon; the Peppers are going on tour next week." She tells me.

"I bet he's excited." I say.

She laughs.

"He is. I haven't heard from him though. I probably won't until he gets back." She tells me, her voice deepening in helplessness.

"It's going to be alright, you know. Flea is a great guy. The odds are that he wants some time to focus on music and forget all of this." I tell her.

"Yeah." She answers, but then gasps. "I forgot to tell you."

My heart races in anticipation.

"What?"

"It's Corey," she says. "He's filming his next movie in Florida, right in Gainesville. I heard at the Viper last night that he'd left a week ago and is still there."

"Oh my god." I begin. "Oh my god, oh my god."

I shake my head and lower my voice into a whisper, hoping not to wake up River who still sits asleep on the couch.