The Edge of The World

With the strong influence of cannabis coursing throughout my body, I spoke up.

"I want to do something fun." I stated happily.

River and Keanu smiled at me, and then each other.

"Let's do something very fun." River stated, grabbing a blunt from a random woman's hand.

-

Keanu and I followed River out of the club and onto the street. I tried to lock my focus on River so that I wouldn't lose him, though the fresh Hollywood air tickled my overly sensitive skin.

The peak of my high was starting to kick in, and my focus was beyond my control.

I haven't felt this far out of my body since....ever.

River finished up the rest of his blunt before we piled into the back seat of a cab.

"Let's go, Keanu!" River yelled, failing to reach for Keanu's hand.

I watched as he laughed and shook his head.

"No high adventures for me tonight, Riv. I'm supposed to be with Chris." He stated, a hint of sadness shining through his voice.

"I'll be counting on you for next time then!" River yelled, before we sped off.

-

"Where to?" The cab driver asked. River cupped his hands around my ears and spoke, and seconds later we started rolling.

"Where are we going?" I asked him, a nervous but bubbly feeling rising inside of me.

He tossed his arm around my shoulder and slouched back, closing his eyes.

Even with his eyes closed, his smile stayed lively and his face seemed off. It was clearly an effect of the drugs, but to me, it was funny. To see him with such a goofy expression made me laugh and cry all at the same time.

I stayed quiet for the 10 or-so minute car ride. My attention turned to the windows that revealed crowded streets of drunken idiots, falling and hobbling down the Strip.

It is a Friday night in Hollywood. What do I expect?

-

We pulled up on a random street that seemed abandoned. I felt my eyebrows furrow as River handed cash to the cab driver and headed out of the car. Anxiously I followed along with him, but the paranoia of my high began to peak when I noticed the run down buildings and sketchy-looking people.

I studied River's extremely eased face and trusted him with wherever he was leading me. Not much was said until we took a turn past an old theater, and behind it seemed to be the world.

The sky ripped open in front of my eyes; it was a vast, open field that awaited us.

Every inch of my body came completely alive as I stared hopelessly into the field that seemed to have no end.

"Holy shit." I mumbled to myself, in awe at the sight ahead.

River looked to me and smiled, genuinely pleased at my reaction.

"This is the best place to be," he started. "This is where the world has no end, you know what I mean?" He asked me. I tried to focus on his words but they seemed to slip my mind the second I heard them.

"Sorry," I apologized, laughing as I felt my body tingle even more. "I can't really focus on anything. What'd you say?" I asked. River laughed and looked at me, making me smile even more.

"You don't need to focus. Just enjoy it." He said reassuringly. I stayed quiet for a second until he was ripped out of sight.

Aimlessly, he began running ahead. His arms flailed and his laughter could be heard miles away. He was so happy.

"Come on!" I heard him yell as he jumped up in excitement.

"I never get to do things like this, it's always so busy. Enjoy it!" He insisted.

He was right.

I sprinted ahead; running through what felt like the thickest air that had ever traced the Earth. My mind was quiet for once.

Right now, I was okay.

I saw River running ahead of me; never stopping, never slowing down. I saw the dull outline of his hair that bounced with every step he took. I heard the crunch of our shoes beating against the grass in unison. I could feel my body rising to life and my overwhelming happiness shine through me like rays of light.

Here I am; 18 years old, 5'3, as free as a bird on a Friday night, running aimlessly to the edge of the world with River Phoenix.

The best part is, we were completely and utterly out of our minds.