The Letter

The next few days went by just as I suspected; helplessly long shifts and the occasional partying to end the night.

It was a tiring cycle, and a busy cycle at that.

But living in Hollywood was different from living anywhere else, and we had to get used to it if we wanted to stay.

-

I had never missed the overly-clean scent of my apartment complex so much as I headed upstairs.

Carrying two bags full of ice cream, I shuffle into the living room and set the bags on the counter, Piper laughing hysterically as I do so.

"How much ice cream do you need?" She joked, coming over to inspect the various flavors.

"The shop down the street had a bunch of leftovers and dropped them off at the Viper." I explained as I stocked them into the freezer.

She snags a carton out of my hand and quickly plows into it.

"Mint is my favorite." She explains.

"We have more where that came from." I laugh.

She shakes her head, clearly impressed.

"Good, because I can eat all of it in one sitting. Want to see me try?"

"Maybe tomorrow." I joke, heading to my room and tossing my clothes on the floor.

Tiredly, I open my dresser and begin to shuffle through my clothes.

We don't plan on going out tonight, so I don't mind looking sluggish.

Once I've finally decided on what to wear, I head back into the kitchen.

On the counter lays a pile of mail containing various colored papers and a bright red envelope.

Piper must notice me looking at it as she speaks.

"What's that?" She wonders aloud.

"I don't really know."

I pick up the envelope and rip through it; noticing the small smiley face that sits happily on the front.

Ripping apart the top and unfolding the paper, I can tell that it's newer;  it has been sloppily folded over into a rectangular shape and the dark black ink is seeping through the page.

It's a note.

Smoothing it out, I am revealed to how long the letter truly is.

It stretches all the way down to the bottom of the page and contains multiple scribbles.

"What does it say?" Piper asks.

"I haven't read it, just hold on." I insist.

And I start at the first word:

~

Carmen,

I send my deepest gratitude for you and the  impact you have made; shining your unconditional light upon the life of our River. For it is your compassion that has proven to be of the purest form. The respect overflows from us - to you, and we are forever grateful. Though times are rightfully tough, I see that better days will come ; a day when I can gather my family in peace for the change we have tried so restlessly to make.

I have written to you now because it has been brought to my attention that River is considering coming back home. I'm unaware of if he has yet to mention it to the rest of you. (If so, don't let him know I told you!)

We find that it is only fair for the both of you to come together like one, joining us in Gainesville for as long as you would plan to stay. We would be more than happy to hold the both of you here. In that, I hope to hear of your decision in the near future. We miss you!

The true meaning of what we strive to do burns like fire in River's heart, and it is you that holds so daringly on to that. I am prepared for all the obstacles that our shared lives will bring us in days to come. I hope that you are, too.

To hear from you soon,
Rain

~

"What does it say?" Piper wonders, snatching it from my hand.

I allow her to read it as I sit at the table, wondering.

I'm not sure what to do now. Not only was I unaware of River's decision to move, but now I'm being invited to join.

For a long time I sit drenched in thought, but it soon slips away as the phone rings.

"Carmen," Piper starts, looking up to me after finishing.

I send her a confused look and head to the living room, grabbing the phone and holding it to my ear.

"Yeah?" I say, still thrown off by Rain's note.

"Hey," River's voice echoes. "Did you get the message?"

He knew?

"Yeah. It was, uh, really nice." I tell him.

He laughs.

"Very nice." He starts. "So, what do you say?"

-

Very short chapter, I apologize! A new chapter will be updated tonight but I wanted to give you something to read. Let me know what you think she should do :)))) I'm still debating ideas.