Who's River Phoenix?

I was tugged down the strip for about 5 minutes until he reached a diner. I followed him inside as he anxiously sat himself, his smile growing by the second.

"I'm so excited." He told me. I sat across from him and laughed.

"What for?" I wondered.

"You're going on this date with me. I'm excited." He stated simply.

His expression was a spitting image of his younger self, and for a brief second, he looked exactly like a character he had played. Chris Chambers. It made me smile to see him resemble his younger self for a second.

"I didn't exactly have another choice, did I?" I asked jokingly.

He smiled at me and shook his head, signaling for a waitor. 

"What can I get you two?" The tall, blonde women asked. I glanced at River while he handed our menus to her.

"As many pancakes as you can make, ma'am." He requested. She let out a small chuckle and nodded her head.

"Sure thing, Rio." She answered. I shot him a puzzled look.

"You two know each other?" He shook his head and laughed, tucking his long hair behind his ear.

"I introduce myself as Rio to avoid commotion. So people think they know me, but they don't." He answered back. I raised my eyebrows, impressed at him.

"And they buy it?" I asked.

"Well, not always. But when they do recognize me, I act completely clueless. They give up after a while." He laughed.

I learned a lot about River in the hour or so we'd spent together. He had explained his beliefs about vegetarianism and his political views as well, most of which I didn't completely understand. I wasn't one to keep up with politics or ecological things, but River seemed to be the exact opposite. He even explained how he'd bought an entire rainforest just to prevent it from being cut down. It was insane.

After we'd finished the last of our food, River graciously handed the waitress cash and insisted she 'keep the change'.

We walked aimlessly down the street and ended up at a park, where we sat down on the empty benches. He didn't say much, so I spoke up.

"Hey River," I started uneasily. "So last night, I woke up and went to find Piper and there were some guys in your bathroom." I told him. He looked confused at me as I continued on. "They were snorting something. It looked too finely crushed to be a pill; I kind of thought it was cocaine." I finished. "I didn't know if it mattered."

He brushed it off and laughed.

"Yeah, people do that sometimes. No big deal." He answered.

That was the last he said of that.

"I should probably head back home," I told him. "I've barely spent any time there since I moved."

He laughed and helped me up as we started down the street.

"So why'd you move?" He asked.

"My parents thought it'd be a good time to get some responsibility. And I missed Piper." I answered honestly. He nodded and smiled at me.

"I'm glad you came." He insisted.

I was about to answer back when two women approached us, completely hypnotized by River. I stood awkwardly, waiting for him to speak up.

"Can I help you?" He asked sweetly. Their stare broke and they nodded.

"River Phoenix," is all they could say. I watched as River furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, throwing off the girls.

"Who?" He asked.

"You're River Phoenix." The taller girl stated, her voice slightly raising in excitement.

"I'm sorry, I'm not that guy. I'm nothing like him." River insisted, and then walked off.

I followed behind him, looking back at the women who walked off puzzled.

"I can't believe they actually bought that." I laughed. "You look exactly like River Phoenix." I said awkwardly. River laughed and jokingly shot me a confused look.

"Who's that?" He wondered.

When we got to the entry of my apartment, River and I stopped. He extended his arms out for a hug that I quickly accepted.

"I had fun." He told me.

"As did I." I replied.

As I began to open my door, River spoke again.

"I have to leave tomorrow. You know, for a few weeks."

"Why?" I asked him. He folded his arms and sighed quietly.

"Indiana Jones begins shooting. It should only be a few weeks. Maybe a month. Maybe a few months." He said, unsure. A weird knot formed in my stomach and I felt my own face drop.

"Oh," was all I really managed to say.

"I'll see you when I get back!" He exclaimed, in his attempt to cheer me up. I laughed and nodded, going for another hug considering it'd be the last one I'd get for a long time.

Then just like that, he was gone.

Walking into my room felt depressing. The idea that I would be going weeks, or maybe even months, without seeing River made my heart drop. I wasn't going to deny my feelings that I had for him; they were there.

So, I accepted that a break from him would be challenging. But I would have to get used to it if I wanted to make this work.

I changed out of my jeans and sweater that I'd been wearing for much too long and replaced it with the biggest shirt I owned. I felt completely relieved once I did so, and waited on the couch for Piper.

When she finally walked in, she kicked her shoes off an joined me on the couch. She sent a confused look my way, obviously noticing my unsure facial expression.

"River's gone." I explained.

~~~~~
hello hello! I decided to make this chapter a little longer not only to give you something extra to read but because River's birthday was yesterday! It was a very emotional roller coaster but such a beautiful day to honor a beautiful soul :-) anyways I hope you enjoyed!