Human Flesh

"Carmen, I really need to talk to you." Gus insisted as he pulled me aside.

"What now?" I questioned. I didn't need any more bad company tonight.

"It's about River. Just keep it between us, okay?" He wondered. I could tell by the seriousness in his voice that something was wrong.

"Alright, okay. Between us." I repeated.

Gus glanced around the room and then walked to the kitchen, insisting that I follow him.

Upon arriving in the kitchen, we sat facing each other.

"We need to start keeping an eye on River," he started, making sure no one was around to listen. "He's been doing a lot of drugs on set. As research, of course, but it only takes so long to go from a part time user to having a serious drug problem. I'd say he's right in the middle."

Great, exactly what Rain was talking about.

"What drugs?" I wondered.

"Not pot, if that's what you're thinking. The big stuff. The Devil's dandruff; the stuff that kills you. Cocaine, heroine, sometimes both. Whatever is on the set, that's what he has." He told me, looking guilty.

"You're kidding." I said in disbelief.

"I wish I was. He's an amazing actor and person, Carmen, but we must watch him now. This is serious from this point on."

I could almost feel the tension spreading throughout the air. Gus was serious.

"Have you not noticed the physical deterioration?" He asked surprised. "His face is sinking in and his hair is rougher. The signs are right in front of you."

I was starting to get annoyed now.

"Look, I don't know what River has been doing on set because I'm not there. But someone needs to watch him there too, not just me when he comes home for a few days. I'll chaperone his drug use, but I'm relying on someone to do it there for him as well. If he needs help, we need to help him together. Not just me." I answered.

Gus sent a pleased reaction back to me and stood up.

"I'm glad we are on the same page here." He told me, a smile plastering onto his face.

Then, without hesitation, he walked out of the room.

I sat in confusion.

For River to be actively doing hard drugs is shocking. Is it even possible to be an addict activist?

Whatever the case is, it's serious. Serious enough for people to be bringing it to my attention, at least.

I debated for a long time whether or not to tell Piper; I couldn't decide whether or not she would tell Flea.

And if Flea knew, River would know seconds later.

My thoughts were interrupted by the door to the spare room opening. One by one, men exited alongside River.

He ran his fingers through his hair as he examined the living room, walking towards me once we made eye contact.

My heart fell at the sight of him; I couldn't help but feel guilty for taking part in something behind his back.

But if this will help him, then so be it.