13.

Chase POV

It finally clicked to me the night Zy cried to me. She hadn't cried to me like that in a long time. But it all made sense. She buried herself in work so that she wouldn't have to face the facts. But being consumed with work she didn't get to mourn properly. Two years ago she gave birth to our second child, Zion Cairo Henderson. He was a healthy baby boy with no issues. But unfortunately when he was just three months old he died from SIDS, and we had to bury him. It crushed me having to bury my own child. But it had to be done. It was like my grandmothers passing all over again. I went into rage, and ended up needing counseling again. When I finally got to the point where I was okay to go in the nursery, I changed the room to a little library. Zy refused to go in there for any reason at all. She never talked to me about it. I saw her cry once and that was once when we had to bury him. Other than that she was hella distant from me and Cai. After awhile I started to see her smile again but she was still distant. And I didn't like it. I thought she was cheating. But I never thought it'd have anything to with our son. I can remember the day he was born like it was yesterday.

Flashback

"Man you know that fuck nigga and your sister found out they gone have a baby?" Quelle asked.
"Yep, and maybe had you done right by her it could been you."
"Man, if I wanted it to be. It still could."
My phone vibrated in my pocket.
Wife💎💍👰🏾👨‍👩‍👧
2:15pm- Pick Cai up from Zinobia's please.
2:16pm- Okay, but why wassup? You feeling alright?
2:19pm- I'm fine but Zion is acting strange.
2:20pm- Okay. Well let me know if anything changes.

I put my phone away and grabbed my keys.
"Alright man, I'll see you." I said dapping Quelle up before getting in my truck. I headed to Zy's sister house. When I pulled up I got out and knocked. Zaylen opened the door with daddy's baby fast asleep in his arms. I took her from him and grabbed her bag sending a nod towards Zinobia before leaving.
I buckled her into her car seat and got in after headed to the house.
When I pulled up, I got Cai out and took her up the front door.
I opened it and entered the house.
I took Cai to her room and to went to our room.

Zy was laying on the bed crying with Zion on her chest asleep. I watched his little body lift with each breath that he took. And listened as Zy softly wept.
I sighed taking the baby from her and placing him in the bassinet we had for him at the foot of our bed. Before climbing in and pulling her to my chest.
"Stop crying."
"I don't know what to do."
"Just relax."
"Chase that's easy for you to say. I have mothers intuition and it's not good. I feel like something bad is going on with my baby." She cried into my chest.
I sighed. She was right. I didn't know what she was feeling. My son looked fine to me but I guess mothers know best.
"Look, I'm going to go get Cai dressed and we can take him to the emergency room and see what's up." I said kissing her forehead before climbing out of the bed and heading out the door and towards the hall.

I entered Cai's room and sat down next to her in her body as her little body heaved up and down. I pulled her into me. And looked at her wet face.
"Why'd daddy baby crying?" I asked.
"Is Zion okay daddy?" She asked through her tears.
"Stop crying. Zion is fine." Just as I spoke Zy's scream filled the house. I scooped Cai in my arms and ran to our room.
She was rushing around.
"We gotta go!" She yelled rushing past me, and I quickly followed.

After securing the house and buckling the kids up. I noticed how blue in the face Zion was I couldn't help the tears beating at the back of my eyes. But I had to man up for my family right now.

***

"Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.The death of a seemingly healthy baby in its sleep, due to an apparent spontaneous cessation of breathing. I am terribly sorry for your lost." The doctor explained. We had been at the hospital for hours and we're just now getting anything back and here they were telling us that our child was no longer living.
Zy let out a loud shriek, as Xavier helped her into a chair. I felt rage taking over. As I stormed out of the hospital.
"Chase!" My dad called after me as I paced.
He turned me around and pulled me into a tight hug.
"He's gone man. My son, my child, is gone." I cried into his chest.

Flashback Over

I placed flowers on the very small grave and headed back to the truck leaving Zy to mourn properly. She needed this. It was long over-due.