Cameron Epilogue

Micayla POV

So much has happened in the last two years. I lost my baby and fell into a depression. The same day Cam went to go get Corey from his moms house where she was drunk and beaten. Corey told him that his moms boyfriend hurt him and showed him the bloody and swollen welts all over his back. He dropped him off here with me and stormed out in a rage.

Flashback

Corey crawled into the hospital bed with me and cuddled up next to me.
"Is my dad okay?" He asked.
"Yeah. He just wants you to be okay."
He started to cry.
"Don't cry baby. You're daddy is going to come back." I knew that's why he was crying. He loves Cameron.

To my surprise Cameron didn't come back. I woke up to my ringing phone and answered quickly to avoid waking Corey.
"You have a collect call from.... Cameron Jackson." I accepted feeling tears falling down my cheeks.
"Baby let me explain." He started. I couldn't speak even if I wanted to. "I went back to Najah's to see this nigga, and when I got there Najah was acting all suspicious. Since I have a short period of time. Her and that nigga tried to kill me. I shot him and strangled her. Her neighbors call the police and when they came in that's all they saw, and they arrested me."
"How long?" I questioned.
"Originally 10 years. But now it's just two."
"Just two!" I said in loud whisper.
"I know. Just promise you'll take care of Corey for me."
He said. And I cried and cried but no amount of years was going to change out situations.

Flashback Over

Two years, a whole lot of visits and conjugal visits later and my baby is still in. He'll be out in a month. But we need him now. Today's Corey's birthday and he's 8, and unfortunately this is the second birthday he's had to spend without his dad. But I promised I'd make it a good one.
I got him a carnival themed birthday going on in the backyard. It has everything clowns, rides, cotton candy, funnel cakes, candy apples and more. He seems to be enjoying himself but I can tell he's sad his dad isn't here.

I watch as he runs around with his friends. Playing and having fun.
"Corey!" I yell for him. He runs to me hugging me.
"You hungry?" I asked and he nodded.
We walked in the house where the rest of Cam's family is and I let his grandma make his plate while made mine. It was hard being supportive of Corey when I was dying inside too.

Cam POV

I dapped Chase up pulling him into a brotherly hug before hugging Jaylin.
"So you mean to tell me they don't know you're out?" Jaylin asked as we got in the car.
"No nigga. It's a surprise." Chase said. And I laughed I just couldn't wait to get back to my family.

Today's my sons birthday and I couldn't miss another one. But I wouldn't let him know it. Not only would I surprise him, but everyone else too. None of my family can hold water.

***

After getting cleaned up and dressed, we headed to my house. For some odd reason I was nervous when. But the good nervous. We pulled into the crowded driveway.
I smiled thinking bout all that my baby did for Corey's birthday. She's the real MVP.
"Why you look so nervous?" Chase asked. I just shrugged.
"Yo go in and see if either of them are in the house." I said to Jaylin.
She went into the house and came back out.
"You're good." I followed behind her into the house.

"Oh my Lord!" My mom exclaimed pulling me into her. She kissed all over my face.
"Why didn't Micayla tell me?" She says.
"She doesn't know. Her or Corey." I explain.
"Corey is out back. And she's upstairs."

I nodded heading out back. I noticed all the people and spoke. While Corey continued running around not noticing me yet. I noticed one of his friends who was getting ready to throw a football. And watched as he threw it in my direction for Corey to catch. Corey ran not taking his eyes off the ball. Not even when it landed in my hands. He frowned before looking at me and jumping into my arms crying. I chuckled.
"Stop crying." I told him.
"I just missed you a lot dad. Please don't ever leave that long again." He said holding tightly to my neck.

I played with him hoping Micayla would come outside and after an hour she never did. So I headed into the house. Walking up the stairs I could hear some water. I entered my room and followed the light in the bathroom.
Micayla was leaning over the sink brushing her teeth. She finished and stood straight turning to face me she too jumped into my arms. Corey had taken on some of her traits I see.
"Hey baby." I said kissing her.
"Why didn't you tell me? Why would you keep this from me?" She asked holding her legs tightly around my waist.
"It was a surprise. And I've been here an hour. You been up here. That's not like you." I said and she jumped down.

She smiled then looked.
"I wasn't feeling good because I thought I was making Corey's day as good as it could be without you here. I felt like I failed him."
"You did great babe." I said kissing her pulling her back downstairs. I watched as my family enjoyed themselves.

I just felt like that happiest man alive.