39.

Micah POV

It's been a minute since me and Lance broke up but it felt like forever.
Leena was acting out because she had adjusted to seeing him everyday and now he was gone. I kind of figured that would happen though. But should I be at fault for him treating me the way that he was. I think not.
And I started talking to someone. His name is Josiah Robinson. Number one draft pick for the NFL 2015. He started playing for Miami Dolphins but now he plays for New Orleans Saints which is how we met. We've been talking for a few months now, and he really is a breath of fresh air.

He's met Leena and she has really taken a liking to him which is surprise to me because she's funny acting. But I think it's time for him to meet my family. So they can tell me what they think of him. It's the Fourth of July and everybody has come back to New Orleans.

"Are you nervous?" I asked.
"Nah." He answer fairly dry.
"Um okay." I said pulling into the driveway.
"What's this about?" He asked. Showing me a picture of me and Lance on his phone.
"That was a few weeks ago. Nothing happened." I said remembering the day.

Flashback

"I said we were done and you left and haven't even called to check on your daughter!" I snapped.
"Micah you're not listening to me. Some shit is going on and that's why I've been so distant from you. I'm trying to protect you and Leena. It they know that we have a happy home, they will come after y'all first. I love you and I love Leena. But I'd never be able to live with myself if something happened to you."
He said pulling me into a hug.
"I'm sorry Micah." And with that he walked away.

Flashback Over

"Okay then so if nothing happened why couldn't you tell me. Why did it have to be done in secret?"
"It was a private conversation. I didn't even know anyone was around." I justified putting the car in park.
"I can respect that. But you're my girlfriend now Micah. Anything that you do is in the media and the press will take everything and switch it up. How am I suppose to feel when I see pictures of you and your ex, mind you the ex you won't even talk to me about, and y'all hugging. But you've said nothing to me about it. I'm not mad. Just don't get why you couldn't just tell me that."
"Because what goes on with me and my ex isn't important to me anymore. I'm focused on my daughter and us."
"Okay." Was all he said. He wasn't really one to argue. He said what he needed to say and then he let it go.

"Can I have a kiss?" He asked.
I chuckled a bit leaning into giving him a peck on the lips before getting out of the car.
He said he wasn't nervous but I was nervous enough for the both of us.

We walked to the front door and I knocked. It opened and my grandpa Lewis opened the door.
"Hey papa." I said hugging him.

Her only real family is Braylon who is her uncle. But she feels that everyone else is family. It is not her real grandfather.

"Hey baby." He said kissing my forehead before turning to Josiah. He looked him over.
"Josiah." He said extending his hand with a lot of confidence.
My grandfather looked him over before slapping hands with him.
"Lewis." He said opening the door wider so we could step in.

I heard music, talking, and laughing going on. Like old times.
I walked into the kitchen and everyone was engaged in something. Cooking, eating, play cards, drinking, talking.
"Micah!" Jaylin exclaimed hugging me. I laughed hugging her back.
"He is so fine." She whispered in my ear. I laughed harder breaking our embrace.

I greeted all my family.
"Everyone this is my boyfriend Josiah." I said. The women spoke but of course the men did not. Really weren't any men to speak. Just my grandpa, my uncles.
. I wondered where my cousins were. And worst of all my uncle Bray.
"Josiah honey are you hungry?" My aunt Naunie asked.
"I'm always hungry." He answered walking to her to tell her what he wanted.

My aunt smiled at me pointing towards the backyard.
"You okay for second?" I asked Josiah.
"Yeah I'm good." He said.

I stepped into the backyard. Outside was Chase and Zyiare, Cameron and some girl I've never seen before,Jaylin and Josaun. I greeted them all.
"Where's Caden and Keri?" I asked.
"Keri, Xavier, and Zy'Lan are on the way." Zyiare explained.
"And Caden just went to the store for ma." Chase said.
"What about Mariah and the babies?"
"Jet is upstairs with the kids. And Mariah stayed home with the baby." Jaylin said.
"Cam who is this?" I asked smiling at the girl.
"My girl."
She sucked her teeth.
"My name is Micayla."
"Mine is Micah. And he is my baby cousin." I explained pinching his cheek.
"Thought you was bringing some new nigga. Mr.All-American." Chase said.
"He's inside and his name is Josiah."

They quickly stood and I attempted to beat them in the house but failed.
"Uh uh! Don't bring all that in here!" My aunt scolded the boys.
"I just wanted to see her new nigga." Chase said glaring at Josiah.
"It's Josiah. And I'm not her nigga. I'm her man." He corrected.
"Okay. Enough." My aunt scolded. We all made our plates and headed back outside.

"Your family is not at all like mine." Josiah whisper in my ear.
"Is that good or bad?"
"It's good."
"Hey!" I heard and turned around and it was Keri big as hell with Xavier at her side assisting her. I rushed to her hugging her.
"Girl you look like you about to pop." I said rubbing her swollen belly.
"I wish I would but I got another month to go." She said sitting down.
Caden came outside not too long after.

"Where's uncle Bray?" I asked. But no one said anything. So I left it alone.

After we ate everyone came outside.
"So Josiah, what are your intentions for my neice?" My uncle Quay questioned.
"Whatever she wants she can have." He simply responded.
"What if she wanted a husband and a father to her child and maybe some more?" My uncle Jayden questioned.
"She can have that too."
I was taken aback by his answer.
"I like him." My aunt Naunie chimed in.
My uncle Bray stepped outside and everyone was quiet.

"Step inside and talk to me for a minute." He said looking directly at me.
I stood entering the house after him.
"What's up?"
"I love you like my own Micah. So I'm going to tell you this because it's clear that dude out there is feeling you. And I'd hate for something to mess that up." He started.
"Lance is dead."
I felt my heart sink a little. My first love. My first everything. The father of my child. Is gone.

"Take all the time you need." He said stepping outside.
I took a seat because i felt faint like. I felt myself be pulled into a hard chest and knew it was Josiah.
"You just don't understand. How will I explain this to my daughter?"
"When the time is right you'll do it." He explain in my hair.
"Josiah he was everything to me. Now he's gone. Me and my baby are on our own. Besides my uncle sometimes it felt like he was all I had." I cried into his shirt.
"A real man won't leave his girl and daughter at home for the streets. I'm sure he cared for you. But that's not love."
"You'd say anything to replace him. Claim his spot."
"I don't want his spot. I want my own. I don't want to ever see you cry. And I'll do anything to make sure you and Leena are straight. I'm with you now and I'm sticking with you. I understand you going through some thing right now but just know that Ima be here through it all." He kissed my lips. Before pulling into a hug.