Christmas I

Sirius  groped around frantically for an answer, desperate to change the topic about nicknames.

"Great." He smiled, with as little sarcasm as he could muster.

______________________________________

December 24th

James,

I can't make it to your house over the holidays, i'm......confined to my room as of now. Just grounded for a few days, I did a certain ink-involved prank that caused absolute mayhem! It'll be a miracle if this reaches you at all, my owl is being monitored. I'm afraid sending a package with this will arouse too much suspicion, so i'm leaving your gift for another day. Happy Christmas! I hope you're having fun. 

I'm sorry, this is all the parchment I have, and writing is tedious. I guess I can't think of what to write. We don't exactly do much celebrating...if hosting a formal dinner is deemed as a celebration then...well...I guess we do.

My dearest mother gave me permission to attend said party and I'm supposed to be on my best behaviour. Mother wishes that I don't talk at all in order to avoid shaming the name of the most noble house of Black. It's stupid! I've been in my room this whole time and I am BORED. 

Well....I did do something useful with my time. My father has an extensive collection of books about....certain aspects of magic that are usually in the restricted section. I found one on that thing we were planning to do for Remus. You know what. We need one thing....just one ingredient.

 We've already done the first step, and now I know what the second is. James...I can't write this in.....if someone intercepts this.......

Never mind.

I have to go. Mother is calling me. I'll see you, James.

Happy Christmas,

Sirius 

Sirius laid down his quill. He crumpled the paper and threw it into the fire. 

He felt trapped. His room, although it wasn't cramped, felt like it was closing in on him. Who was he to lie to James? His parents hadn't talked or let him out of his room since he got here....he wanted to go home, home to Hogwarts, away from this awful place. He couldn't lie, heck, he couldn't even send a bloody letter. His window was locked and magically sealed.

Christmas dinner....He knew it would happen, he knew his whole family would be there, he wasn't invited. Kreacher brought up his food earlier, Regulus tried to talk to him too, but that was about it. 

Sirius sighed. One more week of this. He looked out his window and saw nothing, part of the sealing charms obscured any view at all, it was like looking at a wall.

The clock in his room struck twelve. Resounding gongs, echoing through the silence.

"Merry Christmas."

____________________________________

Sirius had drawn his curtains and locked his doors. He was asleep, unaware of an owl, waiting outside his window, trying to get through the many layers of security charms, bearing a letter with the Potter family seal.