The Switch IV

What in Merlin's name was Potter up to?

"You're....sorry?"

The three boys, still in their sleeping clothes blinked back at her. They were all...nervous? Afraid?

Potter twitched slightly, then coughed. He smiled a very....different smile, and muttered.

"You heard me L-Evans..I-I------would you mind refreshing my-our memories on what exactly took place last night?"

"What the...what do you mean?"

Beside Potter, Peter winced, a very...unusual look on his face.

"Look, Evans. We don't have all day. Just tell us what happened. We need to talk to McGonagall. James here has been feeling a bit under the weather, y'know, trying to keep up with my awesomeness and all, so please just tell us, or if you won't, then leave."

"P-peter...?" This was...strange.

Now Potter winced, and so did Black, who was nervously standing behind him. This was obviously some kind of trick, a prank, a way to get out of trouble.

"Look, Potter" She pointed her wand at him again. "I don't get this...this..hoax of yours. You're telling me that you completely forgot about the dust storm thing you set loose last night....heaven knows how you pulled it off. THE DUST SETTLED EVERYWHERE THEN DISAPPEARED. You and your little friends just walked along to your room like nothing happened. MCGONAGALL DOCKED FIFTY POINTS FROM OUR HOUSE BEFORE SHE LEFT!!!"

"Lily, I-"

"DON'T YOU 'LILY' ME. AS FOR YOU, PETTIGREW, I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MORNING IT'S BEEN, BUT YOU'RE TURNING INTO AN ARROGANT BRAT, JUST LIKE YOUR FRIENDS."

It was odd, how Sirius winced, yet Peter just stared back at her placidly. 

"Li-Evans, I...I didn't mean. Never mind." Potter shook his head. He looked at the floor, then back at her, a question in his eyes. "Professor McGonagall left?"

"Is your head that over-sized that you FORGOT about the board meeting? Most of the professors will be gone for the weekend, including Professor McGonagall."

"G-gone...."

"Yes, and I can't deal with you...not just you, ALL of you today! I have charms homework to do."

Pettigrew and Black started to walk back up the stairs. Potter looked at the floor, not moving yet. 

She glanced at Potter, who looked profoundly...guilty. Was he really sorry? He'd done a lot worse than this...this was just a small harmless thing compared to previous pranks. Magic dust that swirled around all over the place but disappeared in half an hour, it wasn't that bad. Yet....Potter was...sorry.

"Look, Potter, I...I shouldn't have yelled. It's been a long night. Get some more sleep, it's a bit early..."

"I...I...I'm not feeling like myself today Li-Evans. I'm sorry."

Potter blinked at her, then immediately turned around and followed his friends up the stairs. The door swung shut behind them. Lily still stood there.

Peter was loud, Black was quiet, and Potter was sorry. Maybe she was just dreaming....