Nicknames

Frank Longbottom looked up from his homework, the library was practically empty except for him and Remus Lupin who was sitting over in the corner. This charms essay was really hard! He bent down to scribble down a few sentences but was interrupted by the slam of the library door.

"MOONY!" Three boys burst in.

Frank's eyes darted to Remus who groaned and shut his book.

"Moony! Me, Prongs, and Wormtail have been looking everywhere for you!" Sirius Black took the book that Remus was holding and tossed it up in the air. James Potter caught it and threw it to Peter, who stumbled around but was unable to catch it. Frank saw the book sailing right at him. He tried to catch it, but it landed with a thud on his desk, knocking over his ink bottle and spilling the ink onto his (really awful) charms essay.

"Hey!" Frank stood up abruptly, glaring at the three boys.
"S-sorry..." Peter stuttered.
James let out an exasperated sigh. "Nice going, Wormtail!"

Remus stood up and walked over to Frank.
"We're really sorry...believe me, I was trying to hide from them but...well...they found me."
He held up his hands helplessly. Then, he pointed his wand at Franks essay.
"Here. Scourgify!" The ink vanished, leaving Franks (still awful) essay exactly as it was before.

"Thanks." Frank grumbled, still annoyed with the three boys for interrupting his train of thought. He looked skeptically at the three...no, four smiling faces.

"You know, I've always wanted to ask you guys something."

James messed up his hair and slung an arm over Sirius'soulder. "And what is it?"

"What is up with those nicknames? I mean, they make absolutely no sense!"

James' smile faltered, Sirius' expression dropped, and Peters eyes darted around nervously. Remus was the only one who appeared unaffected by the question.

Frank raised his eyebrows suspiciously.

"Well, Frank," Remus sat down on the chair beside him. "It's quite an interesting story...a long one too."

James, Sirius, and Peter were all gaping at Remus, who was still calm and smiling.

"Our nicknames come from--"