An Interesting Lesson III

Remus shut his book, looked the professor directly in the eyes and, with a monotonous voice,  started talking.

"Werewolves are classified under the group of beasts. Both in human and non-human form. Lycanthropy has been around since the middle-ages. It's origins are unknown. A werewolf's mind is controlled by dark magic. They would turn on anyone, hurt anyone, even their best friend, without a second thought. Though they may appear to be human on all days except for the nights of the full moon, they are not. Turn to page thirty-four for a diagram of full moon cycles."

Remus paused for breath, still looking Professor Riggs straight in the eyes.

"Another term lycanthrope, often used to describes werewolves, however, refers to someone who suffers from a mental disease of fantasizing being a wolf. This particular mental disorder is termed lycanthropy."

"Mr Lupin-"

"Werewolves are classified under the beast section, and although this placement has been argued about for centuies, they shall remain there. This classification ensures the safety of other beings. Certain laws and restriction do not apply to them. The use of Unforgivable curses on a werewolf, if justified, is legal. At the coming of age, a lycanthrope will have to register as one, being assigned a number, and being informed of all the precautions to be taken. See page 468 for the laws and regulations concerning dark creatues."

"Mr Lupin, I--"

"Sir, I could keep going, but that's where the page ends." Remus' gaze was calm, contolled, determined. The book still remained shut, still in Remus' hands.

"Professor, I read this material a lot over break. My parent's, they're magizoologists, they've studied the topic of lycanthropy as well."

All eyes were still focused on Remus. James' mouth was slightly agape and Sirius was now stitting down again.

"I think, sir, that some of this information is a bit outdated."

Professor Riggs' eyes narrowed at the young lycanthrope. The little monster had the audacity to talk like that. It was outrageous!

"fifty points and detention for a week, Mr. Lupin."

A look of outrage crossed James and Sirius' faces. Both looked like they had a lot to say, a lot of really inappropriate language to use, yet neither uttered a word. A collective groan was heard from the Gryffindors in the room.

Professor Riggs narrowed his eyes, leaning forward, in front of Remus, who remained unfazed.

"But I commend you, Mr. Lupin. Every bit of that information you recited was correct. It was good of you to read it, and memorize it by heart."

Remus smiled politely. Only Remus could smile quite like that, not joyfully, yet not sarcastically either. 

"You're very right, sir. Every fact about the laws against lycanthropy is true. My dad studied them, after all."

Something flickered in his eyes, mischief maybe?

"Although, a lot of the harsher laws were left out, and the other views on the topic, I completely agree with every word currently written in our textbooks"

"Yes, Lupin. Now, as I was saying--" Professor Riggs started pacing again. Slightly unnerved, though he'd never admit it, even to himself. The calmness was too.....too much.