Chapter 5: The worse news possible

Amber's P.O.V:

I go into work the next morning not wanting to deal with Nicole today. The first bell rings and I am greating students. At the final bell I close the door. No site of her. I wait five minutes and relies that she is not coming. I try to call her but no answer. Ok she is totally avoiding me which is ok but if she wants to pass this year then she needs to come to class. Missing on the second day was just not ok. I will call her dad after class to tell him she is skipping. I then get a call on my work phone. I answer it and it's the front office letting me know that Nicole won't be in today. Well at least she called the front office which shows she is being mature even though she is skipping because of me. I walk to the front of the class and tell them to open to chapter one. They do as they are told. " Ok read the first ten pages and let me know if you have any questions. I walk to my desk and sit down. After ten minutes I hear a boy say, " So I heared that bitch Nichol tried to kill herself last night." He was talking to his friend. His friend says, " Man she is such a pussy." I didn't know if I should believe these boys or not, but if it's a rumor I need to stop it considering I know what her mom did when Nichole was 13. I stand up and say, " Mark if you are lying it's not funny."

" Miss. Hill I'm not lying. I heared Nichole tried to kill herself last night." A few others said they heared that to. I tell them to keep reading. I step outside of my classroom and kill Henery Nichole's dad. He picks up on the third ring. He says, " Amber I was going to call you at your lunch break. There has been an accident with Nichole."

My heart sinks. I say, " Where are you guys at?"

" The hospital."

" I will be there shortly." I hang up and run to the office. I walk into the principles office. He says, " Why aren't you with your class?"

" Sir I just heared about Nichole Adamas."

" Yes I have heared about it too." Henery and the principle are really good friends. I say, " As you know I am close to both of them. I was wondering if there was anyway that you could get a sub for the rest of my classes so that I can go to the hospital."

" Yes I will find someone. Tell Henery that I send my best and that I wish I could be there also."

" Yes sir I will."

I leave and drive as fast as I can to the hospital. When I get there I ask for Nichole's room number. They give it to me and I rush to her room. Henery is sitting next to her. I tell him what the principle said. He just nods. I say, " What happened?"

" I found her in her room passed out with a bottle of rum, a pill bottle, and a note next to her. She tried to kill herself. She swallowed 20 pills. They are going to pump her stomach in a little bit. I can't believe this almost happened again."

I walk to him and hug him. I say, " Do you know where she got the pills?"

" Not yet but I have my best men on the case."

I nod and ask if I can stay here until she wakes up. He nuds. I sit with him. Fove minutes later a doctor walks in and ask us to leave the room. We do as he says. Nurses bring in some equipment. I wait by Henery until they tell us that we can go back in. We go and sit back in our chairs. After thirty minutes of just sitting there Nichole finally starts waking up. I get some water for her to drink. She drinks it and thanks me. I nod and hug her. She hugs me back. Her dad takes her hand and squeezes it. I start crying a little bit and so does her dad. Her dad says, " I thought I lost you. Thank God I didn't. I love you sweety."

" I love you too daddy." He smiles and so do I because we know that she hasn't called him that in a while. He says, " Amber can you please watch over her because I have some phone calls to make."

" Yes sir I will."

He walks out and closes the door behind him. I say, " Why just why?"

" Why do you even care since you care about teaching more then me."

" I should have never sent that text. I'm so sorry. I do care about you and always will."

" That doesn't change anything does it?"

" Sadly no I'm still your teacher "

" It's not fair."

" I know it isn't but it is what it is."

" Sadly I know."

I hug her and make her promise never to scare us like that again. She promises. She whispers in my ear, " You are still yhe most beautiful girl I know."

I whisper back, " So are you. So who gave you the drugs?"

" No one you know."

" I would hope not because I would have to kick their ass "