Chapter II ~ Misty ~ World at my fingertips

Chapter 2 ~ Song: Skinny Love by Bon Iver

Misty Cooper

I lay silently on my new, hard wood single bed. It was dark outside.

This was all so...new.

But it had been a whole week, I should be settled by now. But didn't feel it: England seemed so far away. I wanted to go home, I felt so unsettled and homesick. I was alone. Mum wasn't here. Neither was my brother, dad or dog. They'd been and gone last week, coming for two days to help me unpack and get settled here.

Hey, I had Drift. He sat on my chest, looking at me expectantly.

'Well, I'm not alone with you, am I, Drifty?' I muttered. His shell was getting cold, so I put him back in his tank. I was left to my own thoughts.

I'd moved because my mum wanted me to go somewhere new, try something different. Get a job, earn some cash, be on my own. 'Just temporarily,' she said. 'We'll see how it goes.'

It's true. I needed a break from family and I knew I did. As much as I missed them now, I knew it was time to move on, earn some money and find my own place. I was only 17, but I needed to get some independence. I'd scraped off my parents for a while now and I knew I needed to earn some money for university during this gap year. I'd get too distracted in England. I need to buckle down and earn some cash of my own.

Most of all, I needed to make some friends. I never really had a best friend. Sure, I had some friends,  but not at school.

At school, I guess I had some friends, Katie and Jen, but they didn't really know me. We just sort of hung out sometimes. We didn't have sleepovers, talk about boys and go to the movies together. They weren't really that interested in me. As friends, we were just slung together as we were misfits. We didn't have anything in common because of it.

As for people apart from my 'friends', I seemed to get their nerves somehow for just being there, so I'd get picked on. I wouldn't call it bullying. I guess they chose me because I was vulnerable, short, not particularly popular and a bit different from everyone else. Most of the time, I was simply left alone.

I liked video games, anime, weird comedy. I wasn't a genius but I definitely wasn't dumb. I had a different sense of fashion and was too cheerful for them to bear. Well, I say cheerful. On the outside I would smile, whilst on the inside I just felt so...lonely. Upset, frustrated, disliked.

No-one would really talk to me much in school. I accepted that I wasn't going to join a real friendship clique easily, so the majority of my time during lunch break was spent on my DS or sometimes even my super old gameboy colour, playing Pokemon, Mario, and Legend of Zelda.

And don't even ask about a love life. If I'm struggling to find decent friends, what guys are interested in a relationship?

I had a few real friends, outside of school. Despite this, knew I needed to start afresh somewhere new, where I could hopefully finally make some proper friends and know I had the ability to.

But Sacramento? Of all places. Why? I guess California's cool and stuff but so far away? I don't understand it myself. Why did I pick here?

I don't know, okay? It sounded cool.

I felt under my bed for a pack of Jelly Babies.. my favourite. I'd brought over about 20 bags from the UK just so I could still eat them, even if they weren't available here... they were almost my comfort food. I fumbled in the bag for a yellow one- the best ones. I ate them so often that I could tell what flavour they were by the shape.

Yesshh. Yellow.

I silently popped it in my mouth. They reminded me of home. Well, what a lovely reminder that I'm in a strange country.

My mum even paid for a small room in this guy, Jay's home, to rent for a while until I found better accommodation, and the money to pay for it with. It was cheap- that's why she picked it. Dad had left me with a ton of cash but I had to make it last.

All day I've been looking on my laptop in search of a job. There was a shit ton of chef jobs at restaurants, hairdressers, salon workers, and that kind of stuff. But it all required degrees. All I had was my A Levels and they barely meant anything here. All that was left was waitressing, and weirdo work online stuff. Oh well. I can look some more tomorrow. And as for friends, I would have to meet some somehow. I'm sure there was opportunities when working to meet people.

There was another option however. My mum's friend's college friend had a son living here. He lived with his friend in a small bungalow and worked on the internet.  She said that they would be happy to meet up and stuff if I ever got really lonely. Which I knew I would, quickly. But my mum had left me with their details, just in case. I guess I'll just see how it goes. I've just arrived, I don't want to come across as too needy.

And hey, I've got the world at my fingertips. I'm in California for Christ's sake!

Tomorrow, I'll get myself a job.