Chapter IV ~ Misty ~ Time for a job

Chapter 4 ~ Song: No Cars Go by Arcade Fire

Misty Cooper

I literally launched myself out of bed this morning. As strange as it all was, I was ready to take the world on. I opened the curtains in my musty room to see torrential rain. 

Don't let anything bring you down today, Misty.

Before going to sleep last night, I'd researched a load of cafes that would pay well. I'd made a list and was going to go to each one in turn, starting with the best paid, hoping to score myself a job.

Yes. I was starting small. But, you have to start somewhere. Until I find somewhere with better pay, it'll do. I turned on Drift's lights and he came out of his den immediately and looked up at me, as if to wish me good luck. I slipped some cucumber into his food bowl, and filled up his water.

Better get ready.

I dipped in and out of the shower, put on a little make-up and rough dried my hair. It would have taken 25 minutes but thanks to my thick waist length hair, it took 40. Screw my waves.

I considered carefully what to wear; Despite the fact it was only a cafe job, I wanted to make a good impression. I took my suede pencil skirt, the smartest thing I owned. I paired it with a lace shirt, black tights and my patent wedges. I barely ever wore them, and I hated them- they weren't my style at all. But they made me feel taller, and almost more confident, after all. I hated my height, I was always too short, the smallest one compared to everyone else.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. Was this ... me? I'd never worn anything so smart in my life. I always wore novelty shirts, high waisted shorts, hoodies and braces, or to the americans 'suspenders.' These were the only heels I owned. I was so used to wearing converses, crazy fur boots.. not wedges. I was going to be honest, I strongly disliked my outfit, but in the end, it was suitable for job-searching. The only thing that looked like my style was my long reddish brown hair flowing gently around my waist.

I took one last look at myself as I strode out my bedroom and down the stairs. Jay was sat on the sofa watching TV.

'Where are you off to so early, then, Misty?' he inquired.

'Just to find a job. I need to do it sooner or later!' I chirped.

'You've only been here a week.' he warned. 'Relax, stay here a little.' He seemed pretty keen for me to hold back.

'I need to get on with it, honestly. But thank you. I better go...'

'Okay- see you later.'

I grabbed a cereal bar from my own personal little cupboard in the kitchen, and slipped them and my phone into my pocket. I decided to save my jelly babies for some other time, after all, 20 packets wouldn't last long, knowing me. I waved at Jay one last time, and he waved back. I opened the door and stepped outside.

Into the pouring rain.

Oops. Grin and bear it.

Don't let anything get you down, echoed through my head again.

I looked at my map. I'd highlighted my route. I trudged through the rain, trying to figure out what was there as the ink smudged into the paper, the colour sinking into the page. This was impossible. I wasn't going to stop now though, I was already at the bottom of the street and all dressed up, despite the fact my hair was sticking to my face from the wet. I would have to estimate the route, after all I would come across a cafe eventually.

As I traipsed on through the rain, I thought about Jay. He seemed nice enough, but he was in his late twenties at least. He liked to talk. Last night he'd chatted a lot to me, talking about girlfriends and stuff. It was a pretty deep DMC, however I didn't join in that much when he asked me about my relationships. It was  a strange topic to bring up, he was obviously very friendly, but I guess he was paid to be nice so it might be forced. I bet my mum paid him more, just so it seemed like I had a friend.

'Just be as friendly as possible to everyone you meet.' Mum had said.

Mum... I'll call her tonight. We haven't spoken since I got off the plane, and every day until two days ago, which is surprising as Mum is the sort who has to know what goes on every second of every day. She's a worrier, like a typical mum. I knew she was a bit unsure of how I'd get on here. So was Dad. 'I'll be fine..' I'd insisted, but they both looked doubtful. I wasn't even sure I was ready anymore. I just needed to keep my head up high.

I thought of the Ben Howard song: Keep your head up, keep your heart strong. I hate that song. Why is that, of all songs, stuck in my head? I sing the next line to myself: No, no, no, no.

I trudged on, wobbling a little in my heels, clutching the map tightly even though it was no use anymore. I turned another corner and looked to the left and right, searching for a cafe.. with a name that I would hopefully recognize... but I was gradually losing my confidence.

All of a sudden, water drenched over me, like a bucket had been emptied over my head.

It was a car. It had driven near the 'sidewalk', and into a puddle, creating a shower.

The blue car that had done it drove on...

I burst into tears. I was so... angry. And upset. This just proved it.

I'm not ready to live on my own. I'm seventeen for Christ's sake! Why am I here? Sacramento?! I need my mum, someone to cuddle me and tell me it's all okay. I'm soaked.. I'm in a business suit! I don't even know my way back from here..what will I do? Why am I here.. what have I done?

...and stopped. And parked.

Oh god. They were coming over to apologise, how embarrassing. I almost had hoped that they would drive on. Actually no, I seriously WISH they had driven on. I furiously wiped away my tears but they were running down my face harder and harder, I was just so...frustrated. The car door opened. It was a man. Youngish. He had brown hair, in what I can only describe as a bowl cut, but his hair was parted and stuck to his face as it was wet. As strode over, I tried to work out the colour of his eyes, but they were bloodshot. This guy had tears in his eyes. Gosh, why is he crying too?

He ran over.

'Hey! Oh my god, I'm so sorry. Don't cry, here, take a tissue.'

He whipped a scrunched up kleenex out of his pocket and passed it to me. I was wet enough already...

Stop crying Misty. You're showing yourself up.

'Oh. No.. I'm not crying! But.. you are..' I stifled, between heavy sniffs.

'Oh no, I'm not at all.. it's just been raining.. erm... on my face.' he claimed.

'Uh, same.' I replied, 'I'm not crying at all.'

'But you're soaked! Please, I feel dreadful about it, just.. come over. Let's dry you off. I can't stand the idea of leaving you here stranded. Here, take my jacket.' He slipped off his leather jacket and wrapped it around my shoulders. I didn't refuse, but smiled at him in thanks. But I couldn't burden myself on him, he seemed het up enough already, I didn't want to intrude.

'No, seriously. I can, erm, get home..'

'I insist. You're dripping wet. Just briefly, we can just put a towel round you.. oh god..' He broke into tears again. I was so perplexed by this whole situation but I couldn't deny him now. To be honest, it was for the best and he didn't seem like a rapist, just a young guy wanting to help.

'If you insist, but please don't cry! And don't feel so bad about it, everyone makes mistakes.'

'No.. we do.. get in the car, sorry that I'm in such a state. Yes, this time I'm crying for real,' he stuttered and opened the passenger door, allowing me to get in. 

I thanked him and sat down, instantly forming water droplets on the chair. My hair, sticking to my face, dripped onto the seat. The guy got in.

'Thanks...'

'Ian.' he answered.

'I'm Misty.'

'Awesome name. Well just come back to mine briefly, we'll sort it out. Let's both stop our crying first though..' he stifled out, as a final tear ran down his cheek.

My crying had already stopped. I smiled at Ian. And he smiled back.