Chapter XVI ~ Misty ~ Misty & Kristie

Chapter 16 ~

(no song)

Misty Cooper

'Cheers, guys!' I called.

'Have a terrible time!' Ian yelled back.

'Good luck! Excuse Ian, being a bitch as usual,' Anthony shouted, as Ian backed up, and drove off, with Anthony waving eagerly.

It sort of made me nervous being nearer to where Jay lived, on my own. But I kept my head high and tried to ignore my anxiety.

I nervously looked up at the Florence's café sign above the building, shook my hair off my face, and made some notes to self.

First day...

Rule One: Don't embarrass yourself.

Rule Two: Try and be normal.

Rule Three: Don't embarrass yourself.

I took a deep breath and swung the door open with my hip, holding my satchel in place with the other hand. My hair hung down to my waist, freshly washed and wavy, and somehow in this light, looking darker, browner than usual, less gingery. I better make the most of it while it isn't totally red.

Summer was fast approaching, you could tell from the diluted sun, and the pale leaves growing from the trees at a faster rate than you could keep track of. Fresh, bold tulips had darted from the ground overnight in the front lawn of the bungalow. I was no longer wearing tights. Soon my hair would go from rich brown to an embarrassing gingery red, and I really would look like Misty from Pokémon.

Me and Kalel had planned my outfit yesterday whilst shopping.

I wore one of my new cute cream lace blouses (that Kalel had persuaded me to buy), and a light scarf with tiny foxes on it, plus my old denim skirt. What made me stand out a little though were my new red heeled sandals, brightening my outfit and making a daring statement. Kalel protested that my outfit was amazing, even though I wasn't sure.

As much as Kalel wanted me to, I had decided against wearing my glasses but they were in my satchel, just in case. I needed them more than I thought I did, but I hated wearing them, I felt so stupid.

I scrambled hurriedly through the door, and let it shut behind me.

The café was small, but had a very vintage feel, with lace bunting across the back wall and a pale blue-grey and faded white theme. The walls were washed duckegg blue with white panelling across the bottom half. The windows were curved so that you could sit on one of the cushions beside them, and watch the world go by, or lock yourself away from it with the patterned curtains that hung beside them. There was a huge, white, shabby chic mirror hung on one wall, and the majority of the pale wooden panelled floor was taken up by the tiny old-timer white-wooden rounded tables, decorated with a single sheet of lace, and the mismatched cushioned chairs that surrounded each one. The rows of tables led to the main till and drinks station.

In my view was the late-twenties guy who interviewed me, and a youngish girl, by the till.They noticed me and smiled, so I attempted to approach the till without tripping, which for once, went right.

'Hiya,' I greeted.

'Hello, Misty,' the man said. 'Nice to see you made it here, all in good time! I'm Tom. And this is Kristie', he announced, gesturing to the young girl on his left. She looked friendly enough. She was smiley, with big teeth, and had dark, broad curly hair down to her chest, not quite as long as my shetland pony look, but still pretty long, and definitely thicker and curlier than my own. She was a tiny bit taller, but there wasn't much in it. She wore a shirt similar to mine and a really bold, but really nice, purple ruffled skirt. She also had a small black half-apron on. I looked down her (bare, it was summer,) legs to see she had the exact same sandals as me- buckles, colour and all- on. I wasn't sure whether to be excited or kind of annoyed, as I thought I was individual. But there was no point in being unfriendly. I smiled and waved at the girl, as nervous as I was.