Chapter 56 - Baby Shower

"Do good to and serve your mother, then your mother, then your mother, then your father, then the near relatives and then those who come after them."

Zaroon hadn't told anyone about losing his medical license. We dediced it was best if we kept that news away from everybody till the babies were born.

It wasn't like Zaroon wasn't doing anything, he went hunting for jobs.
Any kind.
Just something that would keep the house going for sometime.

Sure, if Zaroon asked his father or Rahil for help, they would without hesitation but Zaroon didn't want to.
I didn't understand him.
He said he had self respect and he wouldn't want to bury that in the ground by asking his family for help.

I didn't interfere.
I even asked him if it was okay that I taught at a college.
What would my oxford degree be useful for then?
But no! He said it would be shamefull for him that his pregnant wife was working and he had no job.

Men and their ego!

What he didnt understand was the babies were on their way and we desperately needed to start saving.

But how would we?
He didn't have a job.
He wouldn't let me get a job.
He wouldnt borrow from anyone.

This were about to get really messy.

5 Months Later

"You're so close to the delivery, I cant believe its been 9 months" Fiza helps me sit on the chair.
"I know. It wasn't hetic or miserable. Alhamdulila" I say with difficulty.
"Do you want something to eat?" She asks.
"Um..I think I'll have lunch already. I'm hungry" I say.
"Then...wait...I'll get your lunch up here. Dont stress yourself by going up and down" She says and runs to the kitchen.

My due date was in less than a week and I was terrified.
Everything scared me from the delivery to getting a baby in my hand.
It was horrifying.

I was at my dad's place because I figured it would be much easier for me if I had my mum with me.
It had no offence to Gazala aunty but I needed my mother there atleast for sometime.

Zaroon came to visit me every night before he went back home. To see how his babies were doing and to tell me how much he missed me.

Mahira rushes into my room holding a barbie in her hand and shows me her new tooth coming.

"Oh you're getting another tooth" I say excitedly.
"Hehehehe" She laughs and runs away

"Hey!" Zaroon comes in.
"You're early. Its lunch time" I say getting up to hug him.

"Come here" He wraps me in his arms. It was a little hard with the extra size and weight I had gained but he managed.

"I have a good news" He whispers into my ears.
I pull away from the hug and look at him.
"You got a job?" I was thrilled.
"Yes" He smiles wide.
"Oh Zaroon! This...is....Wonderful" I hug him back.
"What...what is it?" I ask again.
"A friend of mine helped me get it...it's his father's company..I dont exactly know what the job is...but Inn sha Allah it'l be good and I'll work hard" He says uncomfortably.
"Zaroon are you sure? You left the previous one just after a month because 'company' job is not something you're looking for" I stroke his cheeks.
"They're paying good Ayaat. I can atleast do this much for my family" He says.

Fiza knocks the door.

"Come,come" Zaroon says and sits down.
"You're early" She says and keeps my plate on the table.
"Well, yess Rahil sent me to see if you were okay" Zaroon pulls her leg and she blushes and I chuckle.
"Tell him I'm fine and thank him for not visiting me even once" She says sarcastically.
"Hey! You know he's busy" I tell the obvious.
"Yeah! I know...Anyway. I'll leave you two alone. Ayaat? Finish your lunch before it turns cold" She shuts the door behind after she leaves.