Chapter 30 | Inestimable Memento

"I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them."

- Andy Bernard

Chapter 30

Inestimable Memento

"Hikaru?" I stooped my head down to the kid who sat alone on the table, it looks as if she had just cried awhile ago. Her eyes were puffy and red, and her lips were too sealed. What is it this time? It's rare to see her alone in a cafe, good thing I saw her through this glass window.

She glanced up to meet my eyes and quickly turned away, she clenched the hot choco in her hands and avoids eye-contact. Right when she pouted, I knew something or someone has bugged her.

Just the looks of her feeling unhappy makes me feel troubled and useless. I have an obligation to keep her from trouble, it's for Kasuka's sake. But really this kid is always getting into trouble . . .

Heh, who am I to say that to her.

I grabbed a chair and sat down with her, placing my chin to the palm of my hand, I groaned. "What did you do this time?"

She looked at me again with those hazel brown puppy eyes, it was obvious that she was sad, this girl can never hide things from me; she sucks at lying and even keeping a straight face on.

"It's nothing . . ." She sipped her cup of chocolate slowly to avoid singing in her tongue, "I was just dozing off."

Lies. Even a seven year old child can detect that you are lying.

I clicked my tongue and leaned on my chair while giving her my ticked off face, but it only made her frown even more.

"What's the point of lying when you are making the obvious? Don't be so obvious, stu-pid." Those words may stung her but as a 'friend' I cannot overlook this pathetic state that I am seeing right now. Girls can be so complicated; they say that they don't have anybody to talk to but when someone actually comes, they stay quiet. It would be better if she let it all out than keeping it in to herself. In this case, the only thing I can do is just make her talk at least, but it's not like I'm concerned or anything . . .

Without realizing, a pair of brown orbs were staring at me. Shit, she's mad.

"You wouldn't understand, Shizuo." She said firmly, her eyebrows furrowed. What did I do?! I was just concer- worried for her!

Hesitating on what to say, puzzled, and have no idea how to comfort girls. Well this is fucking awkward, what do guys normally do at this kind of situation? I'm not a gentleman for Pete's sake, I'm a roughman, wait that sounds wrong, I'm a toughman.

I frantically searched inside my brain if I should say comforting words or not. Staring at her fragile form, I can sense that she willed her tears not to come, but she tried not to show that weak part of her infront of me. I made things more complicated, I should be more gentle with my words. But what the fuck am I suppose to do? Should I h-

. . . well fuck it, I'm just gonna do it.

Standing up to do that, I walked over to her, placed a hand behind her head and pressed her face on my chest, "Idiot, it's not like I'm gonna laugh at you if you tell me. Just let it out."

This is embarrassing, I hope people aren't looking at us. Though . . . she smells nice . . . it's a faint smell but she smells like vanilla and her hair is so soft, it's like I'm brushing my fingertips on silk.

I felt warm, hot blood rush up my neck; what an awkward position this is. I can't actually see her right now so I don't know if she's spilling her tears on my jacket or not- apart from gripping on it.