Chapter 16 | The Date

"You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you."

-Barbara Sher

Chapter 16

The Date

I watched his lips carefully as it move in mute fascination, the thin, pale petals flowing antiquated terms. My chin was cupped in my palm as I focus my eyes only on him. The people that were around us that talked or laughed were nothing but a hum to my ears. His eyes were gleaming because of the light that the candle gave. They were these dark brown eyes with a splatter of orange, like the candle, you could just stare at them all night. Beautiful.

Tonight, not only his eyes shining but the silverware as well; the silverware was spruced up on the table and the bouquet of flowers that the vase held gave more elegance. The small drops of water pelleting on the flowers' petals were slightly dripping. My eyes moved to the roses that were slightly wilting. One petal came loose from the red rose and it floated in the air before it touched my empty plate.

"Hikaru?"

I blinked, sitting back so quickly the chair wavered. I felt like he had asked something of importance. Hot embarrassment crept up my neck as a heavy awkward silence set in.

Great job, Hikaru. So much for your lessons. Ugh, Shizuo, why do you have to be so cute?

"Ah . . ."

"You okay, kid? I asked you, if you got any bruises?" Shizuo asked.

I feigned a cough as I blink a few times before answering his question. "Uh, it's not that big."

My stomach felt tight as I run my fingers down my dress. "But I'm okay now."

I may have put a little concealer on my bruises but hopefully he won't notice.

"Hikaru," Shizuo sighed, looking a little hurt. "I'm really sorry for what I did back there. I wasn't myself at that time . . ."

I flinched at the memory of me shouting at Shizuo. I was a little weirded out by it, but at that time, my body was in great pain and so is . . . my heart. But it's now in the past and I have put it all behind me.

Are you Shizuo?!

I grinned brightly, ignoring the pain that was gaining on my shoulders. "Hey, past is past right?"

He smiled but his eyebrows were scrunched up a little. "Um-hn."

***

The Rules

———Recap———

Izaya sipped his tea slowly to avoid singing in his tongue. The pleasing smell of jasmine flowers drifted through the air as we peacefully sip into our cups in comfort; it's the sweet-smell of the Oolong tea that we have ordered. His wine-like-eyes were stuck to mine as he sipped in his hot cup of tea. I suppose he was up for a game of 'Staring Contest'.

I clenched the teacup in my hands as beads of sweat ran down my cheek. I blinked momentarily, and saw his smirk widened.

"Well then. Looks like I win." Izaya snickered evilly, rolling his shoulders after winning the game. "So when shall we start our love lessons?"

Surprisingly, he knew exactly what I was thinking; the informant broker knows his humans quite well. Interesting.

"What?" I raised an eyebrow at him.