Chapter 01 | Two Different Worlds

"Knowing it and seeing it are two different things."

-Suzanne Collins

Chapter 01

Two Different Worlds

Third Person View

22 years ago. . .

"Is she going to be alright?" The man murmured, sitting next to a plush bed as he held the pale limp hand of his wife.

". . . hopefully she will." Another man who crouched over the pale woman murmured, checking her heartbeat with a stethoscope. "But there is a fifty-fifty chance."

The man stared down at his pale beloved, her eyes were closed and her breathing barely present.

"Your wife's body is getting weaker and weaker, and when she gave birth. . ." The doctor sighed deeply. "Her body won't response anymore."

"A-Anna. . ." The man choked, his eyes lowering in concern soon tears pricked his eyes. He pressed his lips together as he kissed the woman's hand.

"I will leave you these," the doctor gives him his wife's vitamins and supplements before folding his medical utensils away into his bag.

"Dr. Greene. . ." The husband pleaded as the doctor turned to leave.

The man stopped in his tracks as he stood. "Mr. Akiyama," Dr. Greene addressed the man solemnly.

"Will my daughter . . . adapt this as well?" The man asked lacing his fingers to his cold hand; the man gazed upon the woman's body sadly.

Dr. Greene's eyeglasses glinted in the dim light of sunset, his features grim and serious. "She might."

"Daddy!" The eight-year-old squealed in happiness when she saw her father standing on the middle of the room, on his phone. There was a glint of hope in her eyes as she ran towards her busy father.

Her father turned his back for a second, just to tell the person to pause their conversation. Her small feet halted from running, when she lifted her eyes to her father's grinning face.

He turned to embrace the child in his arms, to hoist her up gently, scooping her up from her tippy toes. The giggles of the young girl filled the room and brought joy to the servants that watched secretly. The atmosphere was no longer dim and gloomy but it was replaced by joy and love. The sound of her pleasing laughter, gave them all smiles to their faces.

"Daddy, do you want to play with me?" The girl asked, her voice was soft like a fluffy pillow and her big round eyes looked at his, to see if there's any chance of him to spare a little time with her.

However, the girl was smart enough to see in his eyes that he'd love to but there's work to do. Although, she wanted to, she has to respect her father; she knew that her father is working hard for her.

"Uh. . ." Clearly, he is stating that he's not so sure, how to answer her. He didn't want to disappoint his daughter and besides the two of them hasn't been spending time together. At her age, she must be given true happiness, but how will she have that?

The girl bit her lip when her father slowly crouched down to put her down on her feet. She knew right away what he would say, so before he could even open his mouth to say anything, she mumbled.

"Do you need to go to work, Daddy?"

Her father nodded slowly, reaching out for her hands, he tried to smile. But she never gave the bitter smile or that sour face, although it was hard, she gave her very best smile.