Chapter 1: Arrival

Chapter 1:

THREE YEARS AGO

Arrival

(Abbie's POV)

16 hours later, the plane arrives in Heathrow, London. Aunt Lisa was waiting for us in her car just in front of the arrival area. It would be a three hour drive before we reach Cheshire. It was already 7 am and the road was wet, brought about by the humidity of the 7'C temperature, so I guess we'd be home around ten. Breakfast would be served by that time.

The car was noisy. Mom kept on blabbering about the flight and the delays. I was sitting patiently in the back seat with my older brother, who was now half asleep, resting his head on the window. My dad was on my other side, checking out his blackberry for some e-mails.

"Abbie, darling, look how fast you've grown." Aunt Lisa changes her topic to me, checking me out time to time from the rear view mirror.

I smiled, not wanting to answer back. But if I remember correctly, it's been 5 years since the last time we saw each other. So yeah, I have grown.

"Any boyfriends?" She teases and I hate how she used that word with an s.

I felt dad tense up beside me but I tried to calm him down with my answer. "Nope. Not at the moment Aunt Liz."

She chuckles lightly and focuses her attention back on the road.

We were on the drive for about 10 minutes when the car stopped in front of McDonalds. I woke my brother up and followed my parents to the entrance. The fast food was just near Cranford Park. I saw children playing around the tire swing, fathers sitting down on benches with their baby bags, teenagers taking a walk with their dogs and senior citizens playing chess. Funny how these people could wake up so early.

The restaurant has a pleasant seating area outside, a nice option on a fine day if you can ignore the noise of the traffic on the Bath Road. It seems like the English people preferred sitting outside since the inside was only half full, mostly tourists who have just arrived.

"Did you know this is the only fast food section along this road?" Aunt Lisa seemed to enjoy telling me things I'm really not that interested about. "Sit here." She taps the vacant chair beside her.

They had bigger servings of meals than the Philippines. My country's large sized fries was only this country's regular fries. Drinks were served bigger too.

Without hesitation, I took my bite of my double cheese burger and tasted every ingredient of it. It was delicious!

I was looking around, noticing that my family had the darkest complexion, though our skin color was not even near black nor dark brown. The people here had white pale skin. Their eyes were easily distinguished because of its color. The shade of their hair was mostly between blonde and brunette, and it was either too curly or too straight. I felt kind of left out.

"How's school by the way? I haven't asked that question awhile ago." She giggles as she munched through some french fries.

"Uhh-" I was about to answer when mom cut me off.

"Oh, she hasn't been that lucky with boys." She dramatically replied, making it seem like a big deal.

I felt blood rush to my cheeks and my brother was laughing at me, nearly choking after he took his last burger bite.

"Nah. I'm good." I tried to recover.

"Wait 'til you meet Harry. He's such a sweet guy."

"Who?"