Chapter 4

Xandra's POV:

     Surprisingly, Zane has been behaving well after I gave him that big lecture on him being hopeless in this world and everything. I didn't mean to hurt him in any way possible, but all of my anger just came out of nowhere when Zane started sneering at me as if I was cooked meat. Why does everybody think I'm nothing more than the shadow of an overprotective brother who won't let me out of his sight? I know he means well, but that's just causing people to think I can't take care of myself.

     Excuse, but I can.

     I learned how to take care of myself ever since I was five, when our parents decided that being a parent to two kids was too tiring for them and decided to ditch us when we barely started elementary school! Gerald had to learn quickly on how to use the money our parents gave us wisely for food, clothing, school supplies, stuff like that. At least they kept paying the house, plumbing, etc. bills until we were in high school. Ever since I was a child, I also learned how to keep my anger and sadness deep in my mind for no one could see so no other adults notice that two kids are running the household with no parents in sight. This probably lead to how I could imagine some people, characters, or objects so accurately in my head and I guess when my emotions are really high, well... they turn real.

     Well, I hate the fact that Zane is here in my house.

     And I hate the fact that my inner kindness is preventing me from murdering that asshole to the death. Sometimes, I wish I was more like Kirsty who doesn't give a whiff if a guy from school was staring at her kicking another person in the gut.

     I sigh, rising from my cozy bed in the morning, my hair probably in a complete mess. I check the clock and realize that it is barely 8 am. Wayyyy to early for a Saturday.

     Anyway, I climb out of bed and change into a cute purple tee and blue jeans along with a crystal heart necklace. It was a necklace my mother gave to me when I was just a baby, a time when my parents actually cared about Gerald and I. I always wondered why I still keep this thing instead of throwing it, but really, I keep it to make myself hope that someday, life can become just a bit more easier for a sixteen-year-old like me. Of course, it's stupid to wish right now after eleven years of absence, but hey, I can dream.

     I enter the dark hallway, savoring the silence and emptiness for a bit, before sighing again and heading to the kitchen to make breakfast. I always have to wake up to do this, Gerald would probably burn the whole house down if he attempted to make something or even heat up something in the microwave....

     "So?"

     I whirl around, staring right into the cold eyes of Zane himself. My gosh, where did he come from?

     "You almost gave me a heart-attack!" I snap at him, forgetting all about niceties.

     Zane smirks, casually leaning against the doorframe like he owned this place. I have to admit, he looks a bit cute like that. Quickly, banishing that thought away, I turn to rummage at the cupboards, cringing at how barren it will look two days after this. "So, what do you want to eat today?"

     I didn't need to turn around to know that he was shocked at my response. And probably Kirsty, Gerald, and practically every fangirl in the world would be shocked. But hey, can't I be polite to him? Sure he killed so many people and everything, but at least make him feel welcomed. I learned throughout my experiences towards people that kindness is the best medicine to cure an evil heart.

     And I'm willing to try.

     "I-I don't know... I don't really care anyway," he slammers, seeming to be a bit uncertain of how to answer such a simple question like that. I roll my eyes for some reason and decide to make scrambled eggs for today. For a while, it's just the two of us- me with the cooking pan and Zane leaning against the door, observing me. It feels like a nice silence, just two people trapped in their own world, yet sharing a single room together.