Chapter 6

Zane's POV:

     I can't get the image of that girl's smile from my mind, the way her emerald green eyes sparkled like fireworks in the night sky. Not like the way her eyes sparked like deadly fire when she was out to kill me, but more like a fantastic show of warm colors.

     Wait, what?! What are you thinking, Zane??!

     Quickly shaking those ridiculous thoughts from my mind, I enter the kitchen, expecting to see Xandra bent over the pan, probably cooking pancakes like she promised last night. I find Xandra..... and Kirsty there too.

     Oh Lady Irene, help me please.

     Kirsty seemed to be laughing at something Xandra said before noticing me. Her eyes narrow immediately and her hands turn into fist, as if preparing to punch me again. Nope, I do not want to deal with a madwoman chasing me around again. Nope. Nope. Nope.

     "Zane... ya still around?" she asks in the most calmest voice I ever heard in my life. Perhaps too calm.

     Xandra shoots me a sympathetic look, dumping the pancakes onto a plate, before declaring in a very innocent voice, "I gotta go.... use the bathroom, like really bad. Real bad. Gotta go, bye!" Before I open my mouth to protest, she shoots out the other way, probably trying to hide her giggles. That blasted girl, urgh...

     "So?" I turn around from glaring at where Xandra used to stand and warily give Kirsty a look. I am most definitely dead.

     "I really have no place to go besides here," I reply, simply, hoping this won't cause her to self-destruct.

     She narrows her eyes, but she makes no move towards me which seems to be a good sign. Just when the awkward silence was about to take us both, a little bundle of clothes came charging in, nearly bumping into me in the process. I stare at the little thing in interest, not really use to having kids running all over the place.

     The kid's short black hair is tucked under a cute, little beanie and her light olive blue eyes shine brightly in the dim light. Her shirt has a white bunny on it while her shorts is a bright blue color. Everything about her is little and cute.

     "Opps, sorry, sir," she mumbles under her breath, shyly looking up at me. A smile attempts to break from my mouth, but I resist the temptation. I never smiled in such a long time, so why should I right now?

     "Lily, come here please," Kirsty says in a gentle, but firm voice, motioning for the little child to come to her side. Obediently, she did so, grabbing Kirsty's pants tightly and peering at me curiously. No one never looked at me like that, the people of O'kasis kept their little kids away from me for a precaution of safety.

     "That your sister?" I ask, noticing the similarity in hair and facial structure, but the fact that Lily looked like well.... a lily in comparison to a madwoman Kirsty makes me reconsider that idea.

     Kirsty makes a face. "Ya, so? And what about it? Why do you need to know that?"

     Immediately, my Zen-like demeanor disappears, my eyes completely turning cold. Lily shivers, as if struck by a cold blizzard, but I don't care. The price is already paid.

     "You don't need to be so suspicious all the time," I tell her, my whole body rigid with anger. Must people be like this to me all the time? One look at me makes them cower in fear or scowl in disgust. They never take the time to talk to me, to become friends with me, to get to know me better. Just because I had "personality issues" when I was little doesn't mean I would bite them.... not for the first time anyway. They were the reasons why I became this... this.... monster! And I have no way out of this dark path.

     Kirsty's eyes narrow as well. "Hey, you killed people. You're a threat to people and you give no whiff about it. Who would want to trust you?"

     Funny, it's as if she's reading my mind. I burst out laughing, an evil cackle of disgust. "You know nothing about me, little girl. Nothing. Don't go walking off saying those type of things."

     Kirsty looks like she might just kill me right on the spot, but she probably wouldn't do that in front of a little child. I smirk at that thought, satisfied at my protection from sweet, little Lily. "Hey, I know you quite fine and I don't care if you had a horrible childhood or whatever. You don't just go around KILLING PEOPLE! WHAT DO YOU THINK THOSE PEOPLE FELT WHEN THEIR LOVED ONES WERE KILLED BY THE HANDS 0F A MONSTER?!! DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING??! DO YOU EVEN LOOK AT YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR AND THINK 'What am I doing to myself???'"

     At that moment, tears start sprouting out of her eyes, shaking me out of my angry daze. Lily looks up, worriedly, asking her sister why is she crying. Why do I have this tiny feeling that I am definitely screwed? As if by cue, Gerald bursts into the kitchen, taking in the whole scene through dark eyes. Something about his expression reminds me of Garroth when he rarely gets mad. And of me.

     "What the heck did you do to Kirsty?" he asks in a hostile voice, taking Kirsty in his embrace. She doesn't object, sobs escaping her mouth. I blink, shocked. I never expected them to be lovers, they seemed to be just great friends.

     When I didn't reply, he gives me one last glare that meant vengeance before leading a crying Kirsty out of the kitchen. Lily barely gives me one last look before running to catch up, leaving me behind with my dark thoughts. Look what you did to her, stupid. I smirk faintly at that thought, a type of emotion that I didn't have in a long time.

     Guilt.

     "Well, you satisfied now?"

     I whirl around to find Xandra leaning again the door frame, giving me a blank look. Really, she seems so calm. How can she be so calm when she just saw a monster like me hurt her best friend? That's when I realize that she's being forgiving. She is willing enough to forgive me, Zane Ro'meave, a so-called priest who disrespected Lady Irene by murdering everyone on the spot. But that doesn't comfort me at all, that makes me feel ashamed of my actions. Maybe she wanted me to feel that for my own good, but I don't care now. I do know, though, that she wants me to behave from now on. She allowed me to use her peaceful, safe house as a sanctuary from this cruel world she talks about all the time. She kept her friend and brother from killing my guts a long time ago. She made sure I wasn't hungry. She made me feel like I finally belonged somewhere. She even promised to be that friend I always wanted in my life.

     And yet, I broke that promise- I broke the trust that I barely earned.

     Stupid.