Chapter 16

Zane's POV:

Things quickly got back to normal after my whole entire rampage on Xandra. Well, if anything is normal for me.

Even though she drives me insane with her constant threat of "killing me one day", Kirsty feels like a sister to me- I tease her, she teases me back, she chases me around, just like Eve would do to me when we were younger. (Well, maybe not the chasing and cursing part. Mother would freak.) Sunny is one of those friends who you can always rely on for a friendly conversation and some delicious cooking (her blueberry pancakes are amazing) although she has a tenacity to freak out and start having a nosebleed everytime me and Xandra are in the same room. Xandra tells me that I'll get use to it after awhile, but frankly, it still creeps me out.

I still hate Garroth and I may never be able to forgive him for leaving me alone with Father when we were younger, but I can see why Xandra adores Gerald so much. That boy may be a bit over-protective at times and have a bit of a temper, but he good naturally makes life in the small house more bigger if you know what I mean. We both decided to stick together to constantly torment the girls- particularly Xandra, and the last prank with the water bucket was priceless.

And with Xandra, well, I love her. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I do. Everytime she smiles up at me shyly, as if not sure what to say, millions of butterflies take flight in my stomach, threatening me to slammer like a dead cow. We aren't officially in a relationship though. Xandra still is getting over being abandoned from her parents a long time ago and not being loved properly, which I can respect. We do, however, go out sometimes and occasionally flirt-tease just for the fun of it.

I'm in love with her. I repeat that in my head, smiling like a lunatic. I'm in love with Xandra Ro'haven. To think, Zane Ro'meave, a boy growing up with the dark as his only campaign, sold to the evil itself, and murdering two of the greatest friends he ever had in his life, falling in love. Was this even an appropriate punishment for someone like me?
"Yes, it is." Xandra says, standing in the doorway with her hands on her hips in a sassy way. Today, she is wearing a long-sleeved gray sweatshirt that says "Live Life Now!" and those strange blue men clothes called "jeans", her eyes sparkling bright green. Her long hair is tied up into a ponytail and her mouth is creased into a straight line. The sign of perfection.

"Huh?" I blink, confused. Since when is she able to read my mind?

She rolls her eyes playfully. "I was talking about you going to college, remember? Don't tell me you tuned out again."

Now it's my turn to roll my eyes. "I apologize if my lack of attention is getting in your nerves again."

"Ha, I don't believe you. You're probably doing it on purpose," she shoots back, giving me a mischievous smile. Here we go again with our playful banter, going back and forth and seeing who gets the last combat. I don't mind it, though, it's one of those things that I enjoy personally.

"But of course, my beautiful princess, I would do anything to get your attention." I say in a fake serious voice, my expression completely blank, trying my best not to grin.

Rolling her eyes again, she bats her eyes a couple times, her long eyelashes covering her gem-colored eyes. "Oh, you would do anything to get my attention, hm? Perhaps listening to me would help a lot, good knight."

I nod, keeping my expression completely serious. "I might think about that, if you had anything good to say, my lady."

Silence takes the whole entire room before we burst out laughing at our antics, joy bursting from my heart. How long has it since I ever had this much fun? How has it been since my heart felt it was this alive?

"Jeepers, you guys are weird." Sunny walks into Xandra's room, giving us a strange look. I flash her a mischievous smirk who rolls her eyes at me. People have been rolling their eyes at me lately.

"That's because he's weird," Xandra teases back, flashing me a smile. She slowly gets up from the bed and smoothes her sweatshirt down. I can't help, but stare at her, wondering how a girl could possibly take someone like me down with a single smile or roll of her eyes. But then again, I did let her into my heart in the first place.

You are a foolish prawn. A foolish one. FOOLISH!!

I ignore him, standing up to follow the two girls into the hallway where I hear the shouts of Gerald and Kirsty firing into an argument like they even care what comes out of their mouths. I smile, leaning back against the wall as Kirsty and Sunny head off into the kitchen to probably get ready for dinner. I finally feel like I'm home, I have a place where I fit in. Never expected it to be a house full of rambunctious kids, but still, it's a nice feeling- to belong somewhere.

In Lady Irene do I care about what the Shadow Lord thinks anyway?

Just then, I hear a noise coming from the door, a quiet, almost shy knock.

"I'll get it!" Xandra practically bounces to the door in a rare happy mood, humming a joyful tune. That quickly ends when she opens the door and lets out a loud gasp.

My aged old senses of a skilled warrior quickly kick in as I rush to her side, practically growling at the person cowering in the doorway.

"Xandra, you know this woman?"  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: OMG, I'M SOO SO SORRY FOR THE SUPER LATE UPDATE, I INTENDED TO POST THIS CHAPTER A WEEK AGO, BUT I TOTALLY FORGOT! Anyway, this is chapter 16 for you guys at last! XP Don't worry. Chapter 17 is coming up soon! Hope you guys enjoy and have an early Valentine's Day! XP